starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GHD and back pain

Default GHD and back pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, I am new here and looking forward to reading as much as I can and learning from everyone here.

I was thinking about purchasing a GHD. However, it has been suggested to me that people who have experienced lower back pain in the past should be cautious about using this bench. My back feels great now, but there was a time when I had a few issues. (Before I started working out). I have researched this, but most of the info that I can find is related to the Cross Fit style sit ups. I don't plan on using it for sit ups, and only really want to use it to increase my squats and dead lifts. I have used one in my old commercial gym, but only a few times. I am now training in my home gym (garage) and I don't want to make the investment if there is a chance that it might have to stop using it. Assuming good form, is there any reason that I should be concerned?

Great articles. Thanks for posting the links.

Ok, I spent some time with the articles and it's making more sense. But, I had a few more questions. If I am doing a properly executed glute ham raise and my back is getting strong from the LP program, I shouldn't have any concerns about using the GHD? The reason that I ask is that I've heard people talk about developing back pain with this bench. Would it be safe to assume that most 'injuries' from the GHD are from back extensions and sit-ups.

Normally, I would just try it out for myself and see how it feels, but I've decided to quit my commercial gym and train at home. I would have to invest in a bench and I want to make sure that I will be using it for a long time.

If you are doing a properly executed glute ham raise, but if your back is getting strong from the LP program, why would you be using the GHD? And it's not so much that the GHB causes back injuries as that it just aggravates injuries already there.

Thanks. Makes sense. The reason that I wanted to use the GHD was to increase my deadlifts, not necessarily to strengthen my back. I may not be at that point yet, so maybe it's best to wait until I start to get stuck?

How will a glute/ham bench increase your deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How will a glute/ham bench increase your deadlift?
    Mark, did you say on a relatively recent (last 6 months?) that you had a glute/ham machine in your gym, but you got rid of it bc folks were injuring their backs? Could have sworn that came up.

If it did, has the blue (or old man... Or gray) book been amended to not include that exercise anymore? I've got the hardback blue book and that one does mention this exercise.

Thanks.

I don’t know. That may have come from some mis-information that I mis-heard at some point along the way.

Either way, it’s settled. No GHD for me until I have a better understanding of it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Mark, did you say on a relatively recent (last 6 months?) that you had a glute/ham machine in your gym, but you got rid of it bc folks were injuring their backs? Could have sworn that came up.
    That was the Reverse Hyper machine. A GHB is a bench, not a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    I don’t know. That may have come from some mis-information that I mis-heard at some point along the way.

Either way, it’s settled. No GHD for me until I have a better understanding of it.
    Read PPST3 again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast