starting strength gym

Thread: Body Composition for Barbell Training | Robert Santana

Default Body Composition for Barbell Training | Robert Santana

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Robert Santana

The quest for strength acquisition involves careful consideration of human anthropometry and body composition. Anthropometry refers to the measurements and proportions of the human body. Body composition refers to the percentage of fat, lean mass, water, and bone in the human body.

Read article

Great article!

Thank you sir!

It is a great article but is this portion arse about?

High quantities of abdominal fat are correlated with cardiometabolic disease risk, which has led to the recommendation that males should keep their waist circumference <40 in (102 cm) and females should keep their waist circumference <35 in (88 cm), with a normal waist-to-hip ratio of 0.9 for males and 0.85 for females.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    It is a great article but is this portion arse about?
    Thanks for the kind words Phill! This means that men should keep a waist circumference of less than 40 inches (102 centimeters) and females should keep a waist circumference of less than 35 inches (88 centimeters). The ratio of the two metrics (waist divided by hip) should be 0.9 or less for males or 0.85 or less for females. These targets are associated with a reduction in cardiometabolic disease risk. Does this make more sense?

It makes sense though I would've thought waist size and ratio would be more generous towards women.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    It makes sense though I would've thought waist size and ratio would be more generous towards women.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Think about it. The common female fat storage pattern follows a gynoid distribution (i.e. the "pear shape") whereas the common male fat storage pattern follows the android (i.e. the "apple shape"). Based on this one would expect most females to have a smaller WHR than males of similar body composition.

starting strength coach development program
    Underwater dunking depends on measuring actual lung volume, which is somewhat involved. Dunking used to be popular at gyms. They would have somebody bring a rig in a trailer, and offer a body composition measurement to members. But they didn't measure lung volume; they looked it up in a table, with average values based on the person's sex and height. People with larger real lung volumes than the table shows for their height will get results showing they are fatter than they are; people with smaller lung volumes appear to be leaner than they are. I realized this when my gym offered a dunking measurement to us years ago. The gym's trainer had an MS in exercise physiology, and routinely used skin caliper measurements to track members' progress. I was visibly quite lean, and the calipers said I was about 8% body fat. The dunking apparatus said I was above 30%. I thought back to my undergraduate physiology class when I was 18. In the lab we used xenon diffusion to measure each others' lung volumes. Mine was almost twice that predicted for my height. The instructor couldn't believe it, so everybody in the lab measured my lung volume over and over again, with the same results. So don't go get dunked and let them take your lung volume from a table.