starting strength gym

Thread: Total knee replacement

Default Total knee replacement

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I did a search on this topic, and found some good information. I had a total replacement of my right knee, and I'll eventually have to get my left done. I want to know what specific modifications i may have to make to my SS workout. I assume I can't do power cleans, but Rip said squats and deadlifts are okay. Are there any other changes i need? What should I replace for those exercises now not allowed?

How long before I am handling heavy weights again? I would like to hear from others who have had a TKR. Thanks to all who help.

I haven't seen any literature that indicates significant concerns with resistance training after total knee replacement. Resistance training is common and gives good results. Just be conservative as you build back up so that your body has adequate time to adapt. The power clean is the only explosive movement in the basic NLP, so that should be the only one you need to sub out. You could do rows or chins like most people do who sub them out.

Hayden, thank you for answering. I just had my post op follow up visit at the surgeon's office. I was told I should never again use heavy weight squats, but rather focus on high rep low weight. Doctors tend to be overly conservative so I don't know what is true. I would love to hear from others who have had total knee replacements yet still do full AS workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Crescere View Post
    Doctors tend to be overly conservative so I don't know what is true.
    Nearly anyone with no experience makes ridiculously limiting recommendations. What does "heavy" even mean?

You are right, but I sure don't want to damage or destroy my new knee. Are there people with total knee replacement (TKR) squatting let's say 225 plus for a five rep workout? I just want to hear some numbers from those who have had TKR. My right knee was done, but I'll soon have to get my left knee done too.

The weight is going to depend more on your current strength levels and age, not the replacement. There have been a number of competitive powerlifters who had knee replacements and jumped back in the game (i.e., Vlad Alhazov who squatted 500kg raw after having the operation and building back up).

That's encouraging to hear. I am certainly no powerlifter, but at my best i was squating 325, and deducting 400. I'd at least like to get back to that.

starting strength coach development program
    Hello Crescere,
    How is your progress? Looking for some opinions from guys that had replacement surgery. I'm 67 yo, 5'8" 180 lbs with a couple right knee meniscus tears in 2014. My ortho told me then that a knee replacement is in my future. I had a cortisone shot 7 weeks ago. That was good while it lasted, about 6 weeks. I'm finally considering knee replacement but lifts are still progressing. I play tennis a few times per week to aggravate my knee. The technology advancement in this surgery is impressive and could be a good time to get it done.
    Do you believe, post surgery, you are still able to make gains with one or two alien joints? Thanks, John