starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitar NLP

Default Guitar NLP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I applied the NLP to my guitar playing and I am happy to report my guitar playing is now a third faster than it was before.

I actually did not do this on purpose, but after a week of being amazed at my progress, I discovered that I had used a the same ideas.

Specific excercizes with a metronome
    Written down progress
    Sped up the excercizes each day

As you were...

This is the classical approach. Playing at slow tempos is very different, mechanically, than playing at fast tempos, however. Eventually, you’ll find that the incremental approach will break down because of this. There is a lot of new thinking in the science of skill acquisition that you have to push yourself beyond your limit in order to allow your brain to find the most efficient way to perform a movement quickly.

You might want to experiment with speed bursts as well as simply dropping the metronome and trying to play as fast as you can. The goal is to do so smoothly, which indicates you’re on your way to mastery.

When you say speed burst do you mean going from quarter notes to eighth notes to sixteenth? Or a more uncontrollable speed excercize? I am working on the former and have messed with the latter a few times, but my pps (potential picking speed) is up to 205 bpm using eighth notes. Im not sure a wild atrack will really get me any faster. The pick needs to leave little to no space after the plectrum crosses the string. If you watch some of the shredders you will barly see any right hand movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    When you say speed burst do you mean going from quarter notes to eighth notes to sixteenth? Or a more uncontrollable speed excercize? I am working on the former and have messed with the latter a few times, but my pps (potential picking speed) is up to 205 bpm using eighth notes. Im not sure a wild atrack will really get me any faster. The pick needs to leave little to no space after the plectrum crosses the string. If you watch some of the shredders you will barly see any right hand movement.
    Yep, exactly right. Chugging along at quarter or eighth notes and then a beat of sixteenths then back down, all the while with the same pulse. You work your way to larger bursts of more notes.

The second bit was to yes simply abandon the metronome and just try to play some kind of repetitive pattern fast without a set tempo target. The next step is to try and string those fast patterns together as your brain finds the most efficient way to play them at high speeds.

As for the old adage about small movements equals fast playing turns out not to be true. When filmed and the video slowed down, very fast players when playing fast did not exhibit very small movements. In fact, the pick motions in particular were bigger than you’d expect. The motions were, however, precise and efficient, but not small. Steve Morse comes to mind. Joscho Stephane is another.

I like Troy Grady’s website. He’s done a ton of work on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Yep, exactly right. Chugging along at quarter or eighth notes and then a beat of sixteenths then back down, all the while with the same pulse. You work your way to larger bursts of more notes.

The second bit was to yes simply abandon the metronome and just try to play some kind of repetitive pattern fast without a set tempo target. The next step is to try and string those fast patterns together as your brain finds the most efficient way to play them at high speeds.

As for the old adage about small movements equals fast playing turns out not to be true. When filmed and the video slowed down, very fast players when playing fast did not exhibit very small movements. In fact, the pick motions in particular were bigger than you’d expect. The motions were, however, precise and efficient, but not small. Steve Morse comes to mind. Joscho Stephane is another.

I like Troy Grady’s website. He’s done a ton of work on this.
    I have watched some of the Troy Grady material. Lots of good stuff in there. I have currently been watching all of the Michael Angelo Batio lessons. I pick and choose the material mostly based on the songs I am learning.

I would say MAB has a much tighter picking stroke than most. I have worked on tightening the stroke as well as the two way pick slanting, which has helped, along with the help of not getting stuck inside the strings. I can be pretty sloppy slower but when the speed picks up, I always find my error.

But even with the pick slanting, some of the players have an exaggerated slant and some very slight.

Hold the pick really close the the point and then move back to where it’s comfortable. Have some fun with pinched harmonics, pick scrapes and squealies. There is this tendency to go at it like some kind of robot. Whilst you want to develop the accuracy, it’s also important to develop the expression-your own voicing/style. There is a happy balance. Try not to make it into a trial :-) As your style develops it becomes easier to improve the accuracy, but if you don’t develop your style at all, then every practice session becomes ever more boring.

I don’t equate strength progression with learning to play an instrument. Training is different, to skilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Hold the pick really close the the point and then move back to where it’s comfortable. Have some fun with pinched harmonics, pick scrapes and squealies. There is this tendency to go at it like some kind of robot. Whilst you want to develop the accuracy, it’s also important to develop the expression-your own voicing/style. There is a happy balance. Try not to make it into a trial :-) As your style develops it becomes easier to improve the accuracy, but if you don’t develop your style at all, then every practice session becomes ever more boring.

I don’t equate strength progression with learning to play an instrument. Training is different, to skilling.
    I dont disagree with what you are saying, I've played long enough that I enjoy everything I play. Even boring excercizes. I just purchased a SA Spectrum Envelope Filter, it makes even the most boring excercizes fun.

I have a part of me that wants to play like a robot... I dont play for others amusement, only my own.

An excercize played at lighting speed is not musical but has a different kind or reward.

I dont disagree with what you are saying, I've played long enough that I enjoy everything I play. Even boring excercizes. I just purchased a SA Spectrum Envelope Filter, it makes even the most boring excercizes fun.

I have a part of me that wants to play like a robot... I dont play for others amusement, only my own.

An excercize played at lighting speed is not musical but has a different kind or reward.
    Get out of your bedroom :-) Playing with other musicians, particularly the more accomplished, will really help you grow. I play both drums and guitar-not particularly well in either case, but my drum tutor pushed me to play in a band. I can’t say I was keen on the idea, in fact I was pretty terrified - what if I wasn’t good enough ? What if I messed up ? What if they kicked me out ? those ‘what ifs’ really are a bummer. I kind of got through the first rehearsal session with a lot of nerves messing up my playing, it was an ordeal. We met up again a week later and I was more relaxed. This went on for several months until the dreaded first gig. It was far from perfect, the guitarist got lost and stopped playing, the singer we had didn’t turn up and the bass player sang like a wounded cat. I learned so much in those few months and in that first gig that no amount of bedroom practice can ever replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Get out of your bedroom :-) Playing with other musicians, particularly the more accomplished, will really help you grow. I play both drums and guitar-not particularly well in either case, but my drum tutor pushed me to play in a band. I can’t say I was keen on the idea, in fact I was pretty terrified - what if I wasn’t good enough ? What if I messed up ? What if they kicked me out ? those ‘what ifs’ really are a bummer. I kind of got through the first rehearsal session with a lot of nerves messing up my playing, it was an ordeal. We met up again a week later and I was more relaxed. This went on for several months until the dreaded first gig. It was far from perfect, the guitarist got lost and stopped playing, the singer we had didn’t turn up and the bass player sang like a wounded cat. I learned so much in those few months and in that first gig that no amount of bedroom practice can ever replace.
    Ya, when the opportunity arises I will. I dont play so that I can leave my bedroom, I play for my own enjoyment. Takes my mind off of work.

starting strength coach development program
    Ya, when the opportunity arises I will. I dont play so that I can leave my bedroom, I play for my own enjoyment. Takes my mind off of work.
    Make the opportunity arise, you won’t regret it. We all play for our own enjoyment :-) and we would all wish to be virtuosos and not to show our feathers off to the world would be a great shame. Enough lecturing though, enjoy your playing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast