starting strength gym

Thread: Overhead Press: thoughts

Default Overhead Press: thoughts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I love this exercise, I really do. But, apart from one moment in life when I was able to press 80kg that was my bodyweight + 4kg. at the age of 46 (76kg. + 4),this exercise has given me nothing but frustration.
    I am now wondering why we love so much the Press since it's the only exercise that progress so slowly if at all.
    I've done all I have learnt here to move heavier weights but everything I tried was not succesfull. I am almost 54 now and I'm thinking to just drop this (fantastic) exercise because it's so damn frustrating to not be able to add weight in years. I can't stand it really. I managed to limit the loss of weight that I used to lift in the other compound exercises and still have fun with my Squat and Deadlift, but with my overhead press I basically lift the same weights for the same reps over and over. I don't press 2.0, I tried but I don't feel it right. In the end, what's the use of an exercise that gives you frustration? I can train my shoulders anyway. I've seen Chase Press and it's awesome. I really cannot understand how can he press a weight that many of us seniors squat. Really strong. But I don't like his style, with the back so bent searching for his pecs to help him in the lifting. Basically an incline standing bench. If I did it that way, my back wouldn't be very happy the next morning so he's lucky to be young but I don't think that style of pressing to be healthy for his back when he'll be 40 or 50. Chase is very strong anyway.
    That is. I have no questions only wanted to share my thoughts on this exercise that I love but also hate.

We like the Press because it's a bit more functional than the BP - you are standing using your entire body, instead of laying on a bench. But of course both are very useful to getting strong. You certainly don't need to do a Press with a layback. It's not for everyone, so I wouldn't worry about that. As you note the Press is very hard to progress and the older you get, it gets even harder. The Barbell Prescription talks about different ways to program for Masters athletes. Nick D. also had a recent thread forum on building the Press which you can read HERE. The more you train, the harder programming becomes when you have goals, so you might also just be at the point where you need a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by David Masini View Post
    with my overhead press I basically lift the same weights for the same reps over and over. I don't press 2.0, I tried but I don't feel it right.
    Two problems right there.

Same reps and weight over and over is a fool's game and you should know that. Use the variables of volume and intensity to do an actual program with a beginning and an end. Until you do that you're not giving this movement a proper try.

It took me a long time to get 2.0. It's easy and natural once you get it but some of us take a long time to get it and it feels like crap until you do. Learning to do this movement correctly could be just as satisfying as pressing more weight and it probably will be good for increased weight.

A back supported seated press may not be a full body lift in accordance with the strict principles laid down in SS. But doing it confers many of the prehab benefits and as a supplement to a better bench press. Not to mention that if your lumbars need some more recovery time between deadlifts and squats, it will help with that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    We like the Press because it's a bit more functional than the BP - you are standing using your entire body, instead of laying on a bench. But of course both are very useful to getting strong. You certainly don't need to do a Press with a layback. It's not for everyone, so I wouldn't worry about that. As you note the Press is very hard to progress and the older you get, it gets even harder. The Barbell Prescription talks about different ways to program for Masters athletes. Nick D. also had a recent thread forum on building the Press which you can read HERE. The more you train, the harder programming becomes when you have goals, so you might also just be at the point where you need a coach.
    Thank you for your advices. I didn't read Nick D. article and it is just what I needed. Frustration apart, I love the Press so that's why I am pissed off. Therefore I don't bench because it bother my left shoulder for years, I tried close grip bench but it was worse so I dropped it in favour of the overhead press. Maybe I should try to incorporate a light bench and pin presses.
    Let' s see. Thanks a lot.

I am now wondering why we love so much the Press
    YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you for your advices. I didn't read Nick D. article and it is just what I needed. Frustration apart, I love the Press so that's why I am pissed off. Therefore I don't bench because it bother my left shoulder for years, I tried close grip bench but it was worse so I dropped it in favour of the overhead press. Maybe I should try to incorporate a light bench and pin presses.
    Let' s see. Thanks a lot.
    Dips can be a tremendously useful assistance exercise for the press and a favorite of Bill Starr, detailed in this article:

The Quest for a Stronger Overhead Press | Bill Starr