starting strength gym

Thread: About the books.

Default About the books.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, mates. A simple question about the books. Being an "advanced novice" lifter, I should buy "Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition" or "Practical Programming for Strength Training 3rd edition". It seems as if the first one explained the lifting technique and the second one the different training programs, but I can't find the contents of both anywhere.

I'm wanting to read a good book, so just advise me on which one suits me.

Thanks !!

I was 60 when I got wise to Starting Strength and I'd been lifting, mostly wasting my time, since high school. The discussion of the 5 lifts, the form SS advocates, and the well thought out rationale for that form was like nothing I had encountered before. Get the 3rd edition and read it thoroughly and understand it. Even then, I didn't really get it until I attended a seminar. I guess my habits had to be more forcibly broken with in-person instruction. YMMV in that regard, but I'd start with the 3rd edition.

Buy both, read SSBT first

My two cents: SS first. That one is mandatory and you will always reference it. SS is the foundation of your soon to be strength library.
    Then after SS get PP, PP is great but you still have some way to go before some of the training programs in PP apply to your.
    Depending on your age The Barbell Prescription is outstanding. I suggest those three in that order, but just personal opinion.

Sounds like you should get the blue book (Starting Strength. You probably aren't actually an advanced novice if you haven't run the NLP yet, and the principles and techniques discussed in the blue book are a prerequisite to Practical Programming.

Quote Originally Posted by JorZed View Post
    Buy both, read SSBT first
    Seconded.

I thought i was an 'advanced novice' recently, until i began the SS NLP in earnest. The Blue Book is necessary for all lifters as it contains the world's best (as far as i'm aware) explanations of how to perform the lifts (and why). It's apparent to me that each book performs a separate function, and no matter your level, to be without one of them will be detrimental to your physical development.

I would also add that it IS important to own tangible copies of the books. I originally had an ebook of the Blue book. The problem with an ebook is that you just can't navigate it and underline and bookmark and use the book in the same way, therefore getting the most out of it. It's best to think of these books as tools.

Buy them both. You may regret it if you don't!

Thanks you all !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    Sounds like you should get the blue book (Starting Strength. You probably aren't actually an advanced novice if you haven't run the NLP yet, and the principles and techniques discussed in the blue book are a prerequisite to Practical Programming.
    This is just a way of saying that I already put some weight on the squat, following the popularly known Rippetoe program (Day A, Day B). I have recently been watching your videos and I have realized that I have a lot to improve in terms of technique, so I asked the question, since I could not find the contents of each book. Surely I will buy both and I will entertain myself a bit in this damn isolation. Thank you!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Hi, mates. A simple question about the books. Being an "advanced novice" lifter, I should buy "Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition" or "Practical Programming for Strength Training 3rd edition". It seems as if the first one explained the lifting technique and the second one the different training programs, but I can't find the contents of both anywhere.

I'm wanting to read a good book, so just advise me on which one suits me.

Thanks !!
    Don't know where in the world you're looking but ---

If you look at the books on our store, the contents are right there: Starting Strength and Practical Programming

Follow up with Rip's article Which Book?

You might also review Get Started