starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tested My Testosterone Levels, Not good

Default Tested My Testosterone Levels, Not good

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My test results came back and I'm at 338 ng/dL. At 25 years old, this is very low.
    I previously made a thread where I said it had taken me almost 3 years of lifting to get to 1 plate on bench, with similarly miserable numbers for other lifts.
    Legally speaking, it's not low enough to meet the standard for hypogonadism, however my doctor prescribed me testosterone (Androgel, or injections) but did advise me not to take it until I had my thyroid checked, which I am getting checked in a few weeks.

While I might not meet the standard of hypogonadism, I do have all the symptoms of Low T aside from my inability to gain strength; constant tiredness not explainable by anything else, inability to concentrate, sexual dysfunction etc.

Should I go ahead and take the TRT ? Does anyone here have any experience with the gel ? I'd rather not shoot up if I can help it.

The choice is up to you, but you seem to have enough symptoms to warrant taking TRT and of course your doctor prescribed it, so he likely feels the same. As for gel versus injection, there are some studies that show gels are safer to use and since your levels aren't super low, that may be a fine way to start.

Quote Originally Posted by tmuscat95 View Post
    My test results came back and I'm at 338 ng/dL. At 25 years old, this is very low.
    I previously made a thread where I said it had taken me almost 3 years of lifting to get to 1 plate on bench, with similarly miserable numbers for other lifts.
    Legally speaking, it's not low enough to meet the standard for hypogonadism, however my doctor prescribed me testosterone (Androgel, or injections) but did advise me not to take it until I had my thyroid checked, which I am getting checked in a few weeks.

While I might not meet the standard of hypogonadism, I do have all the symptoms of Low T aside from my inability to gain strength; constant tiredness not explainable by anything else, inability to concentrate, sexual dysfunction etc.

Should I go ahead and take the TRT ? Does anyone here have any experience with the gel ? I'd rather not shoot up if I can help it.
    Hypothyroidism can lower testosterone, so if your thyroid function is low then you would want to treat that and see if the T came up. If your thyroid is low, you will have many of the same symptoms, so taking TRT will not address the actual problem.

I would wait on the TRT to see if you need treatment for thyroid first. If your thyroid and other labs are fine, then a trial of TRT makes sense.

I'm 38 with slightly higher numbers than you, but with symptoms that have been getting worse for several years. Out of curiosity, what else have you discussed with your doctor? I've talked to two in the last month; the first suggested I start TRT, and the second recommended I hold off.

(The second doctor also said I probably just have “adrenal fatigue” from a career change that butted heads with Covid; that starting TRT now would affect my testes God-given abilities and become like an addiction to double-shots of espresso; that lifting weights won't raise testosterone or increase strength; that cardio will raise testosterone, build muscle, and release endorphins; and equated bodybuilders' cycles with testosterone replacement doses.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Hiltner View Post
    (The second doctor also said I probably just have “adrenal fatigue” from a career change that butted heads with Covid; that starting TRT now would affect my testes God-given abilities and become like an addiction to double-shots of espresso; that lifting weights won't raise testosterone or increase strength; that cardio will raise testosterone, build muscle, and release endorphins; and equated bodybuilders' cycles with testosterone replacement doses.)
    Doctors are experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Doctors are experts.
    And both doctors told me the lab's reference interval is useless because you don't know if it's based on teenagers or old men. But right under my numbers the lab report says: "Adult male reference interval based on a population of healthy nonobese males (BMI <30) between 19 and 39 years old." At least that narrows it down a bit.

I'm glad we have Sully (and Sully).

I have had some experience with testosterone swings due to lifestyle, so I wouldn’t automatically write off the adrenal fatigue answer.

In 2016 I was squatting 435 5x3 and around 195lbs with a total testosterone of 581 and free testosterone was 148.9
    In 2018 I was eight months untrained and recovering from infuinal hernia surgery around a month earlier. My total testosterone was 497 and free testosterone was 94.4.

I also am hypothyroid and haven’t gotten my test checked since I started my thyroid treatment and gotten it dialed in, but I would definitely try to start with getting your life and mind together along with treating any potential thyroid issues first, but I’m not an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Hiltner View Post
    And both doctors told me the lab's reference interval is useless because you don't know if it's based on teenagers or old men. But right under my numbers the lab report says: "Adult male reference interval based on a population of healthy nonobese males (BMI <30) between 19 and 39 years old." At least that narrows it down a bit.
    The reference ranges are utterly useless. If you are symptomatic, and exogenous test improves your situation, then TRT helped and it doesn't matter where you are in the range. Astonishingly enough, there is a huge amount of individual variation displayed in this area.

Supposedly the gel is inferior to injection. I've not used either. I take clomiphene citrate right now, after registering a whopping 170 ng/dl result in my initial round of blood tests with my endocrinologist. Not sure how well it's working, I do feel better most of the time and libido is up. actually started growing chest hair too. It's supposed to be 3 months or so before it becomes really noticeable though. I'm on a pretty conservative dose. Just do your research on TRT and its potential side effects. It's debated whether or not those side effects are permanent, but make sure you are okay with them possibly being permanent before you try it.

starting strength coach development program
    Actually, I would get a second opinion.

1. The reference ranges are well-tested. Even on sick people, people who require additional areas, etc. then the reference ranges still work.

It is the alternative medicine people, usually with ulterior motives, that suggest that if you are low on the reference range, you are somehow still sick, just do not know it.

2. The real measure is not testosterone, but LH. If LH was high, it meant that your body was trying to up the production of testosterone, but failing.

My testosterone is in that range. But, I have had above average strength, am aggressive, etc.

It is possible that you have sufficient testosterone, but whatever testosterone you are producing is being uptaken and used.

Conversely, someone could have a high level, such 800. Over time, this would be detrimental, as the body could not uptake it all, hence causing all the problems with too many androgens (baldness, heart problems, etc.). In general, African and African Americans have higher testosterone than Asians. Indeed, they go through puberty faster than Asians, etc. When we combine, genetics, diet, lifestyle, etc. who lives longer and has healthier hearts and other cardiovascular systems?

3. Of course, report any other symptoms. If you were older, say 60, and had severe sexual side effects, etc. then testosterone gel or injections could help. But, otherwise, I think there are other reasons for less than normal strength and muscle tone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast