starting strength gym

Thread: Dips in Starting Strength

Default Dips in Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Assuming someone has no physical problems with doing dips, would it be appropriate for a novice to program some dips in the later phases of Starting Strength. How/where would you add them to your program? Should a novice hold off on doing dips until they are doing more intermediate programs?

A novice is adding to his primary lifts every session. How would you expect extra stress placed on accessory lifts to affect progress on the main lifts?

What are you expecting from those dips? Or what is the goal you try to achieve with them?

Dips are basically an assistant exercise for the push exercises (bench-press and press). These are already increased EVERY session during LP. So there is no possibility to enhance or speed up this process with additional stress.

On the contrary, the stress that the LP creates will quickly become too much for most people anyway. (This is the reason why it can't be continued for a long time). By dips you will only artificially shorten this process and limit your own progress.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBuck93 View Post
    What are you expecting from those dips? Or what is the goal you try to achieve with them?

Dips are basically an assistant exercise for the push exercises (bench-press and press). These are already increased EVERY session during LP. So there is no possibility to enhance or speed up this process with additional stress.

On the contrary, the stress that the LP creates will quickly become too much for most people anyway. (This is the reason why it can't be continued for a long time). By dips you will only artificially shorten this process and limit your own progress.
    Would you say the same thing about chins?

Strong points made all around. I will wait until I'm out of LP to play around with dips.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBuck93 View Post
    Mostly just I like doing dips, they have been fun and I've gotten good at them during my unwilling time away from the barbell. If I could have used them and benefited from them during my LP, that would have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    Would you say the same thing about chins?
    No, actually I wouldn't.
    Unlike dips, at a certain point in the LP chin-ups have a considerable benefit.
    Deadlifts are simply too hard and difficult to recover from at a certain weight. Even if you rotate them with power-cleans you will sooner or later reach the limits of your recovery capacity. From this point on, chin-ups are a proven way to continue to generate high-quality stress in every training session without overtraining.

This is not true for dips, because benchpress and press, unlike deadlifts, can be trained every session without creating overtraining.

starting strength coach development program
    As Rip and others point out, the 'problem' with the NLP is that it's boring. Personally, i can see the efficacy of this 'boring' aspect if i view it as 'simplicity', which is always an improvement in efficiency (greater results from less effort).

But, for those of us who actually gain satisfaction from a long, hard session with the iron, it can be tempting to begin throwing in new 'assistance' movements. However, since becoming acquainted with the SS method, it's now perfectly clear to me that if one wishes to gain strength, simplicity is the key and the urge to add exercises not prescribed as part of the NLP must be resisted in order to not sabotage progress.