starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weigh Your Plates

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayrsson View Post
    A 1 kilogram bag of rice has '1kg' imprinted on it. I place the 1kg bag of rice on the scales. What does the dial say? '1kg'. Seems fine.
    Sounds like a conspiracy to me

Quote Originally Posted by Uselesscamper View Post
    But can you trust your scale? How is it calibrated?
    The scale is an Expert in measuring weight. It was rigorously designed for this purpose, and has far more experience than you and I in these matters. If I had to choose its measurement, or that of a mere layperson, I would choose the scale every time. Don’t question the scale.

A 1 kilogram bag of rice has '1kg' imprinted on it. I place the 1kg bag of rice on the scales. What does the dial say? '1kg'. Seems fine.
    I hope you are joking.

I'd imagine rice varies a bit with moisture content and things like that,
    and the factory's willingness to put forth the effort to get it down to exact 1.00 kg.

Try water, because that's how a kilogram works. One litre equals one kilogram.

Weigh your bar.
    My plates were reading all over the place, but the bar (which is made made a long standing reputable company) was 20.0 kg on the dot.
    ....so seeing that, I opted not to bother with double checking with water.

Also, modern digital scales are fairly accurate.
    The fact you said "dial" above is also worry some.

Quote Originally Posted by Uselesscamper View Post
    But can you trust your scale? How is it calibrated?
    In my younger years I worked at a plastic films factory. I would occasionally calibrate load cells on the production lines and supervise calibration of large scales. We used test weights like the ones in the link. That should do the trick. Interestingly this company also makes them all the way up to 3,000 pounds.

Rice Lake 50 lb Cast Iron Weight, ASTM Class 6 - Scales Outlet

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    I hope you are joking.

I'd imagine rice varies a bit with moisture content and things like that,
    and the factory's willingness to put forth the effort to get it down to exact 1.00 kg.

Try water, because that's how a kilogram works. One litre equals one kilogram.

Weigh your bar.
    My plates were reading all over the place, but the bar (which is made made a long standing reputable company) was 20.0 kg on the dot.
    ....so seeing that, I opted not to bother with double checking with water.

Also, modern digital scales are fairly accurate.
    Sigh. The Great Kilogram Scam of 2020. Forget the fake pandemic. Forget the Bolshevisation of the US. The Kilo lies.

It's quite simple. In the production facility, part of the machine is used to take an equal measure of the product each and every time, prior to it's being packaged, based on a standard amount. This ensures each and every packaging is filled equally. It's an extremely logical process. Any deviations from it's dry weight due to the influence of any moisture would be so negligible as to not be worth mentioning.

It would be a helluva coincidence if there wasn't quite 1kg in a bag stated to be 1kg, but the scale (with 3 decimal points) read it as precisely 1kg, don't you think? The scale must be an accurate liar.

Weighed the bar. It's as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    I used digital scales.

I was at a second-hand sports shop once and found a "45lb" plate that weighed 49.6lb and another that weighed 41.5lb.

Always bring a scale to plate deals.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Sigh. The Great Kilogram Scam of 2020.
    No. This is The Great Not-Having-Had-Freshman-Chemistry Scam of 2020.

I used digital scales.
    yeah, you said "dial".
    A dial is usually a round indicator with a needle-pointer, associated with a cheap radial-spring scale.
    But what a miracle that your 1 kilo bag of rice is accurate out 3 decimals...that it wouldn't be 1.002 or something. Wow.

And who in the hell buys a 1 kilo bag of rice?

Good luck with your PR'ing.

For those of us with home gyms using the same plates each day, does this discrepancy actually matter? If you use the same plate loading scheme during an LP, for instance, eventually these deviations will average out in the accumulated adaptation right?

starting strength coach development program
    If the weight on the bar loaded with 4 45s is always 226.38, and you go up 2.02 pounds with your accurate small plates, then you have gone up ~2 pounds. Doesn't need to average out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast