starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observations on Training by an Old Guy | Phil Ringman

Default Observations on Training by an Old Guy | Phil Ringman

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "I am 66. I don’t think of myself as an old guy, but apparently I am.

When I was in my 30s, yes, I thought people in their 60s were really old. Now that I am there, not so much. But when I look around Wichita Falls Athletic Club, where I train, on any given day I am usually the oldest person in the gym, sometimes by 20+ years."

Read article

Hahahaha good read I’m a ‘52 model and I can relate

I have a little mental trick I use when I find myself looking for an excuse not to go down into my iron dungeon

I tell myself I’m just going to do an abbreviated session and only going to do squats

By the time I’m through my squats I’m starting to feel like a twenty something billy badass And I always finish the complete workout

I love the way I feel after I’ve been lifting, makes me forget how old I am

Hey Phil, Great piece of writing, I can fully relate as I was also born in 1954. Thanks for telling your story it helps me feel like somebody gets it as opposed to someone writing about lifting when they're older because they just him 45! And the Barbell Prescription is a great book.

Very enjoyable read, thanks for posting.

Great article! Both motivating and useful training advice.

Thanks Phil, for your writing, interesting from the horses mouth so to say. I train alone with no coach so everything I can get my eyes on regarding 60+ lifters is interesting. Im 69 this year, with around seven years of barbell SS style. Im at the moment off training with a lot of other things to do, Planning on coming back in a month or two. Hope you are att the forum with your log, I will follow it. I plan to try your program when I passed the NLP phase.

I know that trick and use it often!

Great read Phil.

I'm 67 and knew I was getting older when the other gym members started calling me "Sir".
    If Rip saw me lift he would probably use some other phrases.

Phil,
    You mention using the prowler. Any thoughts about the fact that it's just concentric muscle action with running having both concentric and eccentric?

Thanks,
    John

starting strength coach development program
    Phil,
    Thanks for the article. Keep up the great work in the gym. Its good to see so many guys our age not just dickin' around in the gyms but getting stronger. The recent 3 month shut screwed with all of us. It might take a year to get back the strength I lost in 3 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast