starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Observations on Training by an Old Guy | Phil Ringman

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Phil, Great article. I'm now 69 and started SS at age 61. Our gym closed here during COVID for about 8 weeks but recently reopened with restrictions. Man! is it good to get back under the bar. It's what keeps us young!
    Gene

Great article. I'm 70½ and still training or maybe just exercising . I restarted about 6 years after about a five year layoff. The hardest part for me is looking at my old logs from 20 years ago and seeing my warmups then are now my max weights. I'm doing something different now. A 3x3 metabolic program, hoping it will improve my health as far as BP and work capacity.

Just turned 63 and got back to lifting 2 years ago after a 15 year layoff. A number of starts and stops on the NLP due to career and family issues, but I just retired and am able to keep at it now. I also found the one lift per week thig to work for me:

Tues: Bench/Squat/Assit Ex (usually pullups)
    Fri: Press/DL/Ass. Ex

I limped for years due to a torn ACL and miniscus in my right knee. Now it feels great.

I am doing rep progression per Baker and Sully. I seem to get stronger just as fast on two days as three and I don't have as issues with my elbows or knees.

Phil that was a nicely written article.

I also am 66 and am doing a version of SSLP since I retired recently. I have a question about this program if you or anyone else could answer it.

You said: [I started lifting two days a week, which evolved into my current program of lifting two days a week but only doing each of the big four lifts once a week – press and deadlift on Monday and squat and bench press on Thursday.

For the press, bench press and squat, on the volume day I do three sets of five at a weight that is about 90 percent of my intensity day. On the intensity day, I do three sets of three.]

I'm guessing you alternate weeks of volume and intensity?

Thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    Good read Phil.

I was hoping that you or someone can answer this.

In your article you wrote... [For the press, bench press and squat, on the volume day I do three sets of five at a weight that is about 90 percent of my intensity day. On the intensity day, I do three sets of three.]

I'm guessing that you do volume one week and intensity the next? Thanks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12