starting strength gym

Thread: Is it beneficial to do a high frequency lower reps day once in a while?

Default Is it beneficial to do a high frequency lower reps day once in a while?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys,

I was wondering about this and couldn't find anything on this topic from the SS community. I was thinking about doing my routine once in a while (maybe once per 1-2 months) where I lower the weight and increase the reps. For example: Instead of 130kg squat 3x5 I would do 100kg 3x10 or even 80kg x 15 reps. You are often told it is beneficial to add variance to the training but is there any experience or even scientific evidence to back this up?

Do you (novice/intermediate/pro) add hypertrophy/endurance days to your routine once in a while?

Thanks in advance!

Have you read the blue book?

Yes - read the Blue Book, Hans. I even took it on my honeymoon. Word of advice- using the term “power snatch” in front of your blushing bride can have mixed results Doesn’t translate well.

I have an anecdote on this topic. I have been stuck using lighter weights since commissar Cuomo still has gyms on his verboten list. So I figured id work up sets of 12 on the big lifts. I thought at least if the 12s go up, the 5s should be alright. After fucking around with higher rep sets for months, i tried some 5s this week. Most of the lifts are down significantly. Granted, I've been deficit dieting too, but I dont think I will be continuing those high rep sets. Gonna have to figure out some ways to get my weights heavier. Sustained repetitions adapt you to sustained repetitions, there isn't a carryover to absolute strength you might expect to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    Yes - read the Blue Book, Hans. I even took it on my honeymoon. Word of advice- using the term “power snatch” in front of your blushing bride can have mixed results Doesn’t translate well.
    And after the honeymoon, never tell your wife you’ll be power cleaning that evening.

So it seems like from a pure strength perspective, it isn't helpful. I was thinking of it more from a conditioning perspective to add a different stimulus or, like Rich Piana would have said, to "confuse the body". But I think I was just a little lazy that day and in search of an excuse to go lower the weights that day.

Why would you want your body to be confused?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why would you want your body to be confused?
    Damn, I knew you would ask this haha. Ok, the suggestion was nonsense, roger that.

starting strength coach development program
    I think the "confusion" principle is so held onto by bodybuilders because "shocking" muscles increases inflammation (causes swelling in the muscles). That's the kind of thing a bodybuilder needs to learn to cultivate to maximize their appearance. I only ever see it in bodybuilding type training advice. When it comes to actual performance-focused strength training (at least from people who actually get results), I don't think I've ever seen someone suggesting "confusing" the muscles.