starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Strength and autism

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Put on you big boy pants and remember, revenge is best served cold! Wait till this young man is squatting 300lbs and then speak to your co worker about it.

Keep up the great work and keep us updated on his progress.

BTW, before this is over, you will be the expert on the subject.

Thank you Rip, I really appreciate that. Thank you for the video on the spinal extension, too, I just saw it.

Sometimes it's not easy to separate the parents' issues from their offspring when coaching special needs trainees or athletes. My wife and I have seen it with a number of families. In such instances you have to be patient with the caregiver as well.

As for cues, since my last post on this thread I have come across another Special Olympics powerlifting coach who has more years of experience with more lifters than I do,although he is not an SSC. His name is Jordan Matulevich at the Be Humble Gym. The easiest way to contact him is on Facebook.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Norman View Post
    Anyway, this same coach, who basically fobbed them off on me, tapped me on the shoulder in the middle of coaching the boy's squat today, (I've coached him three days a week for two weeks now) and said 'you know, he should not squat'. I could see where this was going, and it got my back up right away. I said, pretty abruptly 'why not?' and he replied, looking anywhere but in my eye, 'well...he is not normal'.

And yet, you're getting this young man to squat. And this other "coach" didn't even have enough confidence in his own ability to try...because, apparently, he can only coach "normal" people, whatever the hell that means. He quit before even starting. One of you is earning the "coach" title right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Norman View Post
    I got a message a couple of days after I first met the boy and his mother, before his first session, saying she couldn't afford it and that would have been that, but I decided (it wasn't really a decision, I didn't feel like I could do anything else) to take him on gratis. I don't like the idea that I'm doing charity work, or that he's a charity case. I don't particularly like the general idea of not charging for my time, because I do believe in the value of what I do.
    Jake - good on you for working through this - both for your trainee and for yourself. Having children on the spectrum you would think that would be where I would be throwing my hat into the ring - but it isn't. The idea of charity, and worth and value. Specifically as it relates to you.

The story about my legs, my accident and recovery is fairly well known in the SS community. If not a quick search will fill in the gaps. I found myself uninsured, wife, 6 small children and mounting medical debt - to the final tune of nearly $700,000. Yes - that is a correct number. I would have needed a second mortgage to even qualify as a "charity case" we were so far underwater. Along with the prospect of never walking correctly again - hell, walking at all - I was broken - financially, mentally, & emotionally. Rip found me. Rip gave ceaselessly to me. Books, videos, calls, technique checks, private and public, seminars, travel to WFAC . . . never once asking, intimating, joking, referring to anything at all to do with money, finances or his economic value to me. Literally hundreds of thousands of dollars given to me by Mark Rippetoe. I know without a doubt he never once questioned his worth or value to me.

Jim Steel, of Bas Barbell, same thing. I came across Jim's website early on and connected with his perspective. When Jim found out about my situation the same thing - books, form checks, access to him in an unlimited way, programming . .without a hint or suggestion of monetary compensation. If I had a question, a comment, a fear anything - Jim was there for me; is still here for me . . as is Rip.

In the years that have passed not only have these men seen me rise, literally, and walk they have become integral, treasured and loved parts of my life . . parts of my being now. Neither of them are prone to talking about this kind of stuff; particularly in a one-on-one way. Somewhere along the way I realized how fleeting life is and I became comfortable saying it and showing it - to both of them. I know they get sick of me continuing to bring it up because whether any of us want to admit it or not - we are more than just coach and trainee now. I owe them my life; Summer feels like she owes them for bringing me back to them, my kids have me now not as a restricted father in a wheelchair or behind a walker but a Dad that still hustle along right with them. In large part because of Rip and Jim.

There is no way that I can put a value on what Jim and Rip both gave to me. Sure a bean counter somewhere could probably monetize it . . but I know that if either of them were asked, you most likely would be met with a grunt, or a quick quip and move on to another subject - but my daily hope and drive is that while both of these men would never say it, that in some form or fashion each personally feel , "You can't put a price tag on what I did for Brian Jones. The value eclipses any amount of financial recompense. I saved a fucking life"

You have that same opportunity here, Jake. Don't you ever let someone, even yourself, tell you any different. As you progress it will become more and more apparent. Shit - value? You are changing this kid's life - now and moving forward forever.

The challenges are there for you to be able to understand the enormity of the importance of what your changes will mean to this child. What if Rip would have said, "Wait, you've got hardware in your legs, bones aren't 100% healed, and you just had surgery. Sorry - no can do". He would have been the second authority - the ortho surgeon being the first - to tell me I didnt have shit of a chance. Quite the opposite happened. Rip embraced me and the upcoming challenge of training me. I see and hear the same thing in you, Jake. Please stay the course, buddy. If you need a sounding board, a place to vent or just a different perspective - I'm here in any capacity that I could possibly help.

You have no idea of the magnitude of your value, brother. B

starting strength coach development program
    This just might be of use or inspiration for autistic trainees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12