starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Starting Strength for Women | Ray Gillenwater

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jake, At the risk of showing my own lack of knowledge as I'm not an SSC, but simply an older guy who's spent time under the bar, I think you should take a moment to consider the "simple question" you're asking. It's akin to asking is a truck the "best" vehicle you can buy? The answer is it depends on your needs and where you are at. Surely someone with your experience would understand that.

Further, SS is not just a singular approach to training as so many people fail to recognize. SS presents a standard beginning with NLP that works for anyone and, depending on their level of training, is likely the best for hypertrophy at that point in their training progression. As training progresses, SS presents modifications to that approach, i.e. PPST3. Again, someone who has been under the bar quickly recognizes that the approach to training changes over time depending on the goal. So asking flatly if "SS is the optimal training protocol for muscular hypertrophy" comes across as a bit of an uninformed question in my opinion.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Norman View Post

Is SS the optimal training protocol for muscular hypertrophy?
    What do you mean by optimal?

Does following the Starting Strength program cause significant muscle growth, yes.

If muscular growth is the goal, is there any faster way to build muscle for a novice? Not that I’m aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    But, you know, sometimes brain surgeons take a break, put down their knives and answer questions plumbers have regarding the minutia of brain anatomy.
    I’m happy to answer any questions. It’s the assertions that are not productive to address. If the plumber is coming from a position of certainty, how useful is it for a surgeon to say “that’s not what I’ve seen in the OR.”

I’ll answer any question I’m qualified to answer. But I’m not interested in debating with someone that’s made up their mind purely based on how they imagine things to be.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMike View Post
    So asking flatly if "SS is the optimal training protocol for muscular hypertrophy" comes across as a bit of an uninformed question in my opinion.
    Yes. As we've said, experience informs. And as we've said many times, SS is a strength program. It is not bodybuilding. It is also not tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Norman View Post
    Question: Is the Starting Strength method the optimal training protocol for muscular hypertrophy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    What do you mean by optimal?
    And at what point in a lifter's training? Training advancement is absolutely fundamental and cannot be ignored if anyone's interested in actual results rather than endless theorizing. Of course, the internet's all in on the latter.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm probably an even older guy than MiddleMike, closing in on 70 in a few weeks and I chased the dragon of hypertrophy for decades. Without a lot to show for it in terms of size or much to talk about in terms of strength.

As SSCs and others who are VERY well versed in Starting Strength have said, SS ain't about big muscles per se. I mean jeez, read the name of the books, the website, etc. It isn't starting muscles. It's about getting stronger. Often as not, getting stronger leads to bigger muscles. For everyone, no matter what gender they identify as. But if you want clients to have peaked biceps, coconut deltoids, and thrilling thighs, perhaps you need to take a squint at more bodybuilding related stuff. Because they are all about hypertrophy and good looks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234