starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting alone safely

Default Lifting alone safely

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Since we invested in a home gym, I've tried to avoid lifting when I'm home alone.
    It's been really cramping my style trying to wait for someone to get home though.

Am I being needlessly worried?
    I use spotter arms for bench and squat per this article and have had occasion to use both of them with no traumatic effects.
    Barbell Safety | Matt Reynolds

Using spotter arms for the SQ and BP, the chances of getting crushed by the weight are virtually zero. So, the lifting itself really doesn't have much risk at this point. Is there something in particular you are worried about happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Am I being needlessly worried?
    Yes. Set up the safeties very carefully for the bench so that your arched chest gets just above the safeties. Safety height for the squat is not so critical because they are to keep you from getting stapled to the floor.

How often do you expect to fail these lifts anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Is there something in particular you are worried about happening?
    There's nothing in particular, I just figured I'd ask because I'm sure you guys know more than I do about what could go wrong, and I'd rather take an informed risk.

My imagination goes to some kind of situation where I'd pass out doing a press and bash my head in when I hit the floor. But that seems somewhat far fetched, relative to all the other ways one could die at home alone.
    My husband got pinned on a bench press because he had the spotter arms set too low, but since then we've been careful to adjust them properly and leave collars off when benching.

My imagination goes to some kind of situation where I'd pass out doing a press and bash my head in when I hit the floor. But that seems somewhat far fetched, relative to all the other ways one could die at home alone.

My husband got pinned on a bench press because he had the spotter arms set too low, but since then we've been careful to adjust them properly and leave collars off when benching.
    I just started lifting alone on the same equipment you have, and I hear you about the press. I've been getting really dizzy lately — haven't passed out yet, but have had to take a knee a few times — and the 24" spotter arms feel safe.

Also, I just started using collars when benching since my weights sometimes slip down the sleeves and make the bar lopsided. On a fail, I'd rather a balanced bar come down onto the safeties rather than one that's shifting. Am open to being corrected, though.

There's nothing in particular, I just figured I'd ask because I'm sure you guys know more than I do about what could go wrong, and I'd rather take an informed risk.

With the Press and the Deadlift you can just set the bar down if the lift goes awry. Just don’t hit your head with the descending bar on the Press. Safeties won’t help with that regardless.

With the squat, you want to avoid the weight of the bar causing you to topple forward or backward. May not be fatal but can definitely cause injury. Set the safeties just below where the bar ends up at parallel so you have room to get out if needed. Too low and you’ll have to dump the bar by either dropping it and letting it roll down your back or allowing your face to go forward towards the floor. Which might hurt.

The biggest danger is the bench press. In the article you referenced I believe the victim was benching on a Smith machine and had no way to get out. If you set the safeties to where your arched chest goes just over them you won’t have that problem.

A key thing about the bench - at least in my opinion (internet stranger) - if the bar slips out of your hands and falls toward you, the safeties won’t necessarily help protect you from the impact. They are there to prevent your throat from being crushed if you can’t get the bar up. Always make sure the bar will sit a little above your relaxed chest before loading up weight.

The other bench press safety item is in regard to the hooks. I personally adjust my bench so that my face ends up under the bar to minimize the distance from the rack to the balance point. Makes it much easier to rack and unrack the bar, and if you’re spent after a heavy set of fahve, it’s good to make re-racking a simple task.

My imagination goes to some kind of situation where I'd pass out doing a press and bash my head in when I hit the floor.
    But that seems somewhat far fetched, relative to all the other ways one could die at home alone
    I think you're giving yourself the best advice here.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

The only thing I might add is to make sure you use the same holes on your power rack each time. My rack isn’t numbered and has Westside hole spacing. This means it’s really easy to be “off by one” and not notice. I’ve labeled the holes with tape to make sure I find the correct spot each time. As I get more familiar with the rack and make adjustments, I’ll probably just number the damn thing with Sharpie.

If yours is numbered then you’re good to go. Just remember your number.

I've been training alone in my gym for over a year now and I use safety straps. The thing I really like about them for bench is that you can set them in such a way that you get more clearance over your neck and head than what pins can provide. Since they can be set at different points on the upright you can get the lowest point of the strap to sit just below where the barbell would rest on your chest and then have the straps sloping up away from your neck and face. By being able to position the straps at different points on the upright you can do a lot of nifty things. I can perfectly place the barbell just below my knee for rack pulls. Straps are also nicer to your barbell.

The only downside is that my kids think they are hammocks and I have to constantly tell them to get off.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    I’ll probably just number the damn thing with Sharpie.
    I sharpied mine because of westside spacing as well! Just wrote "S" "B" etc next to the holes. Sharpie comes off easily with rubbing alcohol if you decide you want to relocate your spots later.