starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Train the Press | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thank you mr. Nick Delgadillo. Great information!

Yes, thank you sir for the wonderful video. There's such a wealth of information in your vast YT catalog it's easy to miss good stuff.

One thing I've found over the last 6 years since we held the first official Strengthlifting meet in 2014 and the press started becoming a competitive lift for more than 13 of us weirdos here on this forum, is that the more of a layback/olympic style press someone has, the more pressing drives up pressing beyond the early intermediate stage, and the more of a "strict" presser someone is - like me - even on his competitive variant, the more benching is needed to help keep driving the press up.

To get my best pressing gains since I became a late intermediate/advanced lifter I have benched 3x and pressed either 2 or 3x weekly. The programming was hard but never very complex, and as someone whose spine is completely incapable of - and even actively resists - a big layback, I haven't personally found pin presses helpful either.

My point here isn't to talk about myself, but to note commonalities depending upon the kind of presser you are. Big layback pressers who have made it to the advanced stage and are competitive lifters, will probably benefit from 4 weekly pressing slots and 1-2 bench slots, and some of those press slots being pin press partials. At least among myself and my clients who are in the same category but are stricter pressers, I've found more benching (and tricep work) is needed to drive up the press.

Since Advanced, competitive lifters have already committed to greater than average dedication and gym time, I'm not trying to get them in and out in 75 mins, 3 days a week. I assume they are willing and able to spend more time in the gym, as is often necessary at this stage.

So the 3x bench and 3x press plan I've utilized successfully myself, as well as with clients who are at this stage, is a TM like set-up, except obviously without the expectation of weekly PRs. Exactly how much volume, how heavy the intensity, and when to place your planned PRs will vary depending on all the myriad individual aspects that make programming for an advanced lifter different than just following a boilerplate template. So I can't give you every set and rep and weight, just the general outline. Which is:

Monday: Press Intensity, Bench Volume.
    Weds: Light & self limiting variation for each (I like close grip bench, DB bench, or pauses for bench, and have recently started doing some board press and work with chains - results TBD; and strict or DB presses for overhead work).
    Fri: Bench Intensity, Press Volume.

A late intermediate might look to PR every 3rd week and maybe take a light week after 3 cycles. An advanced lifter might look to PR after 8-12 weeks of this kind of setup. So "intensity day" doesn't mean a PR like it does on the immediate post-novice TM. It just means heavier weight for lower reps. Hell, I sometimes throw in backoff sets of 8-12 reps on the intensity slot too, so it's not meant to be the same type of rigid "program" you'd do if you're 2 weeks post LP.

As an example: if my 2RM bench is 445, a ho-hum non-PR intensity day in the middle of the cycle for me might be 405x2x3. Three doubles at ~90% would be a waste of opportunity for someone 2 weeks post LP, but for an advanced lifter and considering the absolute weight, is a legit intensity day work.

So this isn't meant to be a hard and fast template to plug in and mindlessly follow. Only a general outline of a very basic weekly organization that loosely repeats, but the details need to vary week to week to account for recovery, intensity and volume management, and the lifter's actual numbers.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-07-2020 at 09:25 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    wisdom
    Thank you, Mr. Wolf, for sharing your experience for free in the forums.
    Very interesting and useful, lots of info in one post.
    No "like" button to click, so... Verbeugung.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12