starting strength gym

Thread: Liquid chalk any good?

Default Liquid chalk any good?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Folks,

Tried a search but no joy.
    Wife came out of the home garage gym yesterday and asked if we could get some chalk as she's struggling with grip on the last few reps whilst dead lifting. I know, how lucky am I?
    Car is also in the garage and I don't want it covered in chalk dust.

Are the liquid chalk alternatives a good option?

Many thanks

Yes, they work fine as long as you cake enough layers on your hands. But they are notably more expensive.

I made my own. not hard to do. go to youtube. a few things you should consider. the liquid is made with alcohol and will burn any cuts on your hands. personally i never cared about this but your wife may not like it. also she may not like how the alcohol will dry out her hands.
    if you keep the powdered chalk in a zip lock, stick you hands in the bag, you can minimize the the dust.

If you use chalk correctly there is no dust from it at all.

1. Get a tall bucket
    2. Put your hands in it
    3. Rub the block of chalk into your hands
    4. Spread the chalk on your hands like you spread soap (gently)

Thats it. No dust, everything stays in the bucket. I don't understand how someone can do this wrong but there is always, at every gym, one idiot who thinks he is at Columbian cocain party.

Liquid chalk works well enough. Not as good as a dry block, but it gets the job done for me. But as noted above, it's not cheap. Also, make sure it is tightly reclosed. I had some dry out on me and the result didn't work well at all.

Thank you, will give it a go and if the alcohol content becomes an issue try a chalk block in a bucket and cover the car.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been using this stuff for a couple of weeks at home and I think it's better than liquid chalk.

Char Chalk: Activated Charcoal Chalk in a Handheld Tube

It goes on thicker more like dry chalk and doesn't seem to get airborne like dry or liquid. It also looks much less mess on black gym shorts, hahahaha.

It goes on a bit damp and takes a minute or so to dry. I use the gray so you actually see a color change. I'm using it to swing kettle bells till the gyms open and one coating will last through 10 sets. Dry chalk I have to rechalk about 5 or 8 sets in.