starting strength gym

Thread: Work with former SSC?

Default Work with former SSC?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all,

This may seem like a dumb question, but would it be a good idea to get my form checked in-person by someone who previously held the SSC credential? I did some digging on the forums and saw that there was a former SSC that lives in my city and runs his own gym, and I was wondering if y'all think it's a good idea to do that. Or is it not a good idea because he doesn't have his SSC anymore, and therefore risking not doing things the SS way?

Unfortunately impossible to say solely based on being a former SSC. Some people got the credential when the standards were much lower, and may never have been coaching to the current standard. Others may be perfectly good and let it lapse for whatever reason. Still others may have at some point rejected the premises and fundamentally disagree with the SS approach and you'll be getting something completely different, in some cases possibly even hostile to this approach. The world is a weird place. Is there no one current near you?

I live in Albuquerque, NM. The closest SSC to me would be in Denver or Amarillo. Not really feasible. I'm trying to pony up some money and hopefully attend a seminar one day.