starting strength gym

Thread: Hematoma

Default Hematoma

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip,

I went out mountain biking with my son. I ended up going ass over end and landed on my right leg. My leatherman broke off my belt when the blunt end pressed into my upper quad. I had a hematoma about 1/2 inch deep and 4 inch radius just below my hip. I decided to keep training with high reps to rehab the muscle. After two workouts with squat/deadlift at 405, I decided to go up to 455 on deads. Everything felt fine but I noticed the hematoma began to swell to 1-inch and 6 inch radius which was alarming. I went to the ER and the doctor said everything was fine even though my leg is now totally bruised. Of course the doctor said don't lift for two weeks until my body absorbs the hematoma. I am still lifting at low weight (225 lbs) and this doesn't seem to be an issue. Any suggestions on timing when I can start getting heavy again?

Mike

It is my impression that you will be able to increase the weight akin to a linear progression, especially if the bruise does not swell any further. Your own experience ought to dictate how quickly you increase the weight; if you have a 455 pound deadlift, I assume that you know quite a bit about what you are doing. Hematomas are simply subcutaneous bleeding, and you made it bleed more. However, in an area with adequate blood supply and lots of muscle such as the upper quad, I bet that it heals rather quickly and do not anticipate that you will have any major stalls in your training.

Thanks. That is my sense of how to proceed. The problem with the deadlift is the bar hits the hematoma, especially at heavy weight where I can't muscle the bar out of the way. By the way, I think I would have had broken bones if I wasn't doing the program. Can't really understand how I didn't break or tear something worse.