starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apprenticeship

Default Apprenticeship

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Graduated last year summa cum laude from LSU in political science, but looking at the job market, I think I can make more money getting into an apprenticeship program and doing some sort of trade rather than trying to find a job where my degree is relevant. I'm considering plumbing. Any advice?

Build a time machine, travel to approximately 2015 and write a letter to your then self--for our sake, please don't screw with the spacetime continuum--to not enroll in your purple and yellow money trap, travel back to August 28, 2020, and enjoy your job in plumbing. Or you could get an apprenticeship now and be on your way to a better paying, more satisfying career, but what's the fun in that?

I have my own business that I took over from my father. I have been doing this job my entire life, over 50 years. NOW is the best time to learn a trade. You will bust your ass for about 5 hard years then, and get paid well, then you will not believe how much you earn. The world needs more plumbers. Trade schools are dying. All the younger people want to do today is sell mobile phone or make coffee.

I assume you are interested in remaining in Louisiana. If so there are plenty of opportunities in industrial mechanical trades related to refineries and chemical plants. Pre-Corona there were not enough people to do the work. It will take some time but it will come back.

Quote Originally Posted by plumber View Post
    All the younger people want to do today is sell mobile phone or make coffee.
    I feel as though I must apologize on behalf of my generation (the Zs). Millennials have driven trade schools into the ground, along with everything else or so it seems, and I pray that we can turn the tide. Not only do we want to merely sell mobile phones and make coffee, but we also insist on investing in six-figure undergraduate degrees that NEVER contribute to our career in the future. The student loan 'crisis' merely represents modern educational stupidity.

How much do you mind getting your hands dirty? If you don't, plow ahead with plumbing. If you do, then look at electric. Either one we can't live without for the next 200 years so there will be work.

You should also consider HVAC imo. It’s an interesting move, since you already have your bachelors degree another five years and you can be a doctor and make way more money than pretty much any tradesman. But if you’re unhappy with the office life it’s never too late to take up a trade. My plumber charges $120/hr for him and his one worker who he pays 15/hr, so there’s good money to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    You should also consider HVAC imo. It’s an interesting move, since you already have your bachelors degree another five years and you can be a doctor and make way more money than pretty much any tradesman. But if you’re unhappy with the office life it’s never too late to take up a trade. My plumber charges $120/hr for him and his one worker who he pays 15/hr, so there’s good money to be made.
    He has a degree in political science, which is effectively useless for anything other than attempting to get into law school. He is wholly unqualified to attend medical school, as he does not have any of the pre-requisites, i.e., no science training, no chemistry, biology, undergraduate physiology, or laboratory work. He's looking at 2-3 additional years of school even before he can apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    My plumber charges $120/hr for him and his one worker who he pays 15/hr, so there’s good money to be made.
    Yes, he's charging you $120, but he's not putting very much of that in his pocket. He has equipment cost, insurance, workman's comp, vehicle purchase and maintenance, etc. To top all that, a lot of his workday are taken up with non-billable work. I'll use myself as an example: I generally make well over a $100 an hour forging, but half of my days is taken up by the things that need to happen outside hammer time.

But yes, the trades are generally good jobs and have good job security. And thanks to the riots, fires and storms, business is great! If I was going to do it all over, firefighter wold be my choice. A professional firefighter in my area works 7 days a month. I know two that are also running full time businesses on the side.

starting strength coach development program
    HVAC go work for someone else while doing a two year school and make your mistakes on their nickel

Get good and get your license and you can write your own ticket from that point on

And it’s not a very expensive capital investment to get started on your own

No one in the south will ever go without AC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast