starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting after Pectus Excavatum surgery

Default Lifting after Pectus Excavatum surgery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This may be a very long shot, but I may have the Nuss surgery for Pectus Excavatum in the near future. Recovery for this surgery is very tough so I was wondering if anyone here has gone through it and have experience on when you could start lifting heavy again?

We'll ask. Why is recovery so tough?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We'll ask. Why is recovery so tough?
    Well basically metal bars will be inserted inside of your thoracic wall to push the sternum out and make room for the heart and lungs. The bars will be removed after three years. This will create a considerable amount of pain, discomfort and mobility issue as the body is trying to adjust to the new shape. During the first six weeks of recovery, lifting more than 2 kg in the front of the body and 5 kg in the back as well as bending and twisting the upper body will be prohibited. After three months normal activity such as barbell training is allowed (excluding contact sports for the whole three years) but from what I've read, many are still struggling at that point.

I would imagine upper body exercises such as bench pressing and chin-ups will be the last ones that can be added to the program during recovery. On the other hand, it will be important to create stress to the bones and cartilage to make them harder and stable in the new shape. As pointed out in your books, barbell training will be good for this.