starting strength gym

Thread: The Snatch-Grip Deadlift | Robert Santana & Mark Rippetoe

Default The Snatch-Grip Deadlift | Robert Santana & Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "Lockout problems arise at lighter weights on snatch-grip deadlifts than they do on deadlifts, because the snatch grip makes the lift significantly harder and more likely to show thoracic flexion. The bar has to travel further up the legs and into the hips, thus requiring a longer range of motion for the spinal erectors to stabilize."

Read article

Great article. What are the general guidelines for selecting a grip width for these?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Great article. What are the general guidelines for selecting a grip width for these?
    Use your snatch grip. As mentioned in the article see Starting Strength. You can also review the snatch tutorials we've posted over the years on this site.

Yep, in the Blue Book and also covered on the Power Snatch video.

The programming template given is an HLM type. Would the snatch grip deadlift work well as a volume day pull in TM style programming?

For example
    VD: Snatch Grip DL - 3x5
    LD: Chins / Rows
    ID: Deadlift - 1 - 5 RM

starting strength coach development program
    Belated thanks, Robert (and Rip), for this article. I missed it in Sept. 2020 but stumbled upon it a year ago. After reading it, I added SGDLs as my light-day pull on a four-day split and, once I got the weight up substantially, realized fairly prompt dividends in terms of stability in the squat and strength on the deadlift. (I'm in my mid-50s and don't power clean.) The SGDL also forces me to stay over the bar longer at the outset of the lift, which, along with halting deadlifts, seemed to improve my conventional deadlift form off the floor.

I'm in the midst of realizing anew how powerful the SGDL and halting DLs are, and how much they strengthened my back last fall and winter. I got sick in April and was out of the gym for three weeks, came back for three weeks and then took seven weeks off. These were the two longest layoffs I've ever had apart from the govt's 2020 COVID shutdown of my gym. I've been back on a M/W/F LP since early July and am impressed that I've been able the past two weeks to add 10 lbs to my deadlift every workout up to 455 at this point (I was rack pulling 510x5 when I got sick in April.) I'm stronger off the floor than I've ever been and my lockout is much better than it was before I began the SGDLs. (And Robert, I either heard via your podcast or read on one of your forum posts the advice upon returning from a layoff: "don't baby the deadlift," which has kept me aggressive during this LP phase. Thanks for that, too.)

As a master wary of volume, once the weight got really heavy last fall I moved to a single set of 8 SGDL reps from 2x5. That seemed to work well. Also, for those wondering where exactly the SGDL text is in the Blue Book 3rd Edition, it's in the Power Snatch section p. 220-224.