starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NLP workouts taking 2 hours - other's experience

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by biggah_traps View Post
    Can 4 day splits (probably U/L/Off/U/L/Off/Off) be usually finished in under an hour? For e.g. TM Lower volume (5 * 5 squats, volume pulls) seems like it would be brutal

It depends on your particular 4 day split. The lower body day could be a 4x5 SQ and 1x5 DL. So, yes definitely under an hour. The Upper Body day could be a 5x5 BP, 4x3 PR and 2 sets of accessory movements, so that might be a bit harder. But even then there are things you can do: i.e., superset the accessory.

So a 4 day TM upper day of:
    1 set of 5 OHP / bench
    5 * 5 bench / OHP (whichever wasn't intensity)
    some chins

would usually takes under an hour?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have said many times that if you want to hurry through the workout, do it like this:

Warm up the squat, do your first work set, start the press/BP warmup, do your second work set of squats, finish the press/BP warmups, do the last squat work set, rest a minute or two, do the first pressBP work set, do your first deadlift/clean warmups, do the second press/BP work set, finish your deadlift warmup, do the last press/BP work set, do your deadlift work set, go home.
    I don’t have a second bar, but I have a set of dumbbells. I know it’s not ideal, but would dumbbells work to warm up the press or bench press in this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by biggah_traps View Post
    So a 4 day TM upper day of:
    1 set of 5 OHP / bench
    5 * 5 bench / OHP (whichever wasn't intensity)
    some chins

would usually takes under an hour?

thanks

Potentially yes. You could do the chins right after each of the volume 5x5 for example and for some people 4x5 is enough volume to keep them chugging along. That will also save time.

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    I don’t have a second bar, but I have a set of dumbbells. I know it’s not ideal, but would dumbbells work to warm up the press or bench press in this situation?
    For the early sets yes, but as you get closer to the work set weight you really need to be doing the actual lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    For the early sets yes, but as you get closer to the work set weight you really need to be doing the actual lift.
    That's what I was thinking. I'm still in the first stages of the novice program, so I am not lifting heavy yet. For example, I'm still under 100 lbs on the press, so 3 warm up sets with 25 lb dumbbells between squat work sets would be an option. Time hasn't been an issue, but it's good to know that I have options if need be.

starting strength coach development program
    My workouts have always been 2 hours, sometimes more if I am particularly gassed or it's very hot. I video myself on most of the squat sets and review during the workout. I'm also generous on my squat rest times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12