starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NLP workouts taking 2 hours - other's experience

Default NLP workouts taking 2 hours - other's experience

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm currently half way through an NLP (squatting 250 lbs and deadlifting 325 lbs) and I've yet to have a workout last more than an hour.

Will this start to happen closer to a 300 lb squat and 400 lb deadlift? I honestly cannot make time for 2 hour workouts, so I assume I'll have to go to some kind of 4 day intermediate split sooner than I theoretically could and I'm fine with that. But I'm just curious, around what weights have other young or youngish men doing the program found themselves taking over 90 min to complete a workout?

I have coached many people through NLP in my strength classes and initially they only need 1 hour. When they are deep into it they only need 90 min at most and some of that was even due to their needing to share equipment and wait on others. More than 90 min workouts generally arise from not watching your rest times properly or when you move to intermediate programming where additional exercises are added on a 4 day split.
    Last edited by Hayden-William Courtland; 09-09-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Once I switched to the women's 5x3 I find my workouts taking right around 2 hours, and honestly it's a problem for me. 2 hours is a really long time to fit into a workday in addition to all the usual "grown up" chores.

I find myself trying to take shortcuts like reducing warmup sets, skipping chins (for me, lat pulldowns), trying to warm up for the deadlift during my bench/press, etc. And then paying the price for those shortcuts later.

Thanks Hayden-William.

More curiosity than anything else, what was the range of say squat working weights when your trainees began to take 90 min for a workout? I just squatted 250+ lbs 3 sets of 5, ohp 115+ lbs 3 sets of 5, and did 3 sets of weighted chins (the + is as I lift in kgs), with 5 min rests between everything and it still took me under 60 minutes. I can't imagine spending an extra half an hour on just 9 working sets!

Just to add, at under 165 lbs and 5'10, I'm both somewhat strong pound for pound (double bodyweight deadlift for reps) and comically underweight overall. I wonder if this has an impact in terms of allowing me to get about my business in the gym at a brisk, efficient pace? I.e. do I possess the fabled quality of good conditioning?

I have said many times that if you want to hurry through the workout, do it like this:

Warm up the squat, do your first work set, start the press/BP warmup, do your second work set of squats, finish the press/BP warmups, do the last squat work set, rest a minute or two, do the first pressBP work set, do your first deadlift/clean warmups, do the second press/BP work set, finish your deadlift warmup, do the last press/BP work set, do your deadlift work set, go home.

I’m squatting 275x5x3 and deadlifting 340x5.

Even at 11 minutes between work sets with an additional 3 - 5 minutes between the last warm up and the first work set, my workouts have never taken more than 1.5 hours.

I don’t think it takes me more than 5 minutes to warm up for an exercise.

Mine take two hours, but it's because I lift with my girlfriend and my setup is pretty ad-hoc and terrible. Not a big selection of plates and I have to move them around to different spots in my basement to do different lifts. Add on top of that her moving to 5x3 now and just having to keep switching the plates between sets, it adds up. I also have been doing pulldowns every workout, though that I am going to change.

Can 4 day splits (probably U/L/Off/U/L/Off/Off) be usually finished in under an hour? For e.g. TM Lower volume (5 * 5 squats, volume pulls) seems like it would be brutal

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by biggah_traps View Post
    Thanks Hayden-William.

More curiosity than anything else, what was the range of say squat working weights when your trainees began to take 90 min for a workout? I just squatted 250+ lbs 3 sets of 5, ohp 115+ lbs 3 sets of 5, and did 3 sets of weighted chins (the + is as I lift in kgs), with 5 min rests between everything and it still took me under 60 minutes. I can't imagine spending an extra half an hour on just 9 working sets!

There is no objectively heavy weight per se. It depends on age, height, sex, training history, etc. All of these factors will make people arrive at their own "heavy" weights that will differ from others. It also depends on how light you start with your working weights. But generally speaking it tends to happen several weeks into the NLP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast