starting strength gym

Thread: Hypothetical Stall Question

Default Hypothetical Stall Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Good afternoon to anyone willing to read and respond:

I am currently training for my first Strengthlifting meet, which will take place in November in about 10 weeks. I have been running the Novice Linear Progression since May 25th and continue to make gains at a satisfying pace.

I have had one squat stall / reset that took place before I signed up for the meet. Truthfully, it was a technique error that cost me the last rep of set #2 and I decided to conservatively nurse it as a reset rather than press forward (which was dumb in retrospect). So I don't really think it counts as a legitimately required reset.

PPST3 lays out Advanced Novice progression as beginning with one, maybe two back off periods to get LP back on track before adding light days, back off sets, 3x3, every 2 day work outs, etc. My concern is that if I do a reset, I'll lose valuable training time and my numbers at the meet will be lower. I know, as a novice I'm just participating and not really competing, but that doesn't mean I don't want to put up some decent numbers.

Instead of a reset, I would just proceed with the next training adjustment. So if I fail an attempt, just proceed to light days, then back offs, etc.

Is this madness or silliness? Honesty appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Good afternoon to anyone willing to read and respond:

I am currently training for my first Strengthlifting meet, which will take place in November in about 10 weeks. I have been running the Novice Linear Progression since May 25th and continue to make gains at a satisfying pace.

I have had one squat stall / reset that took place before I signed up for the meet. Truthfully, it was a technique error that cost me the last rep of set #2 and I decided to conservatively nurse it as a reset rather than press forward (which was dumb in retrospect). So I don't really think it counts as a legitimately required reset.

PPST3 lays out Advanced Novice progression as beginning with one, maybe two back off periods to get LP back on track before adding light days, back off sets, 3x3, every 2 day work outs, etc.

My concern is that if I do a reset, I'll lose valuable training time and my numbers at the meet will be lower.
    I don't fully understand. You said yourself it was dumb to do a reset rather than press forward. Do you have a specific question? It seems like you know what you should do.

I know, as a novice I'm just participating and not really competing
    You're still competing even if you're not competitive. You had the balls to sign up and prepare for a meet. Most people never will. Own that fact.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Instead of a reset, I would just proceed with the next training adjustment. So if I fail an attempt, just proceed to light days, then back offs, etc.
    I have done and redone my NLP multiple times, so I understand what you mean. At this point in my training, I have a decent feel for heavy weight and when I need modify programming to accommodate. It seems as though you are a self-sufficient lifter and have a pretty firm grasp on the concepts here, so I would recommend altering your programming even prior to failure; in essence you need to anticipate failure. If you have been running the NLP since May 25th, I hope that you understand what I mean.

For example, if your squats for the week are 295 pounds on Monday, 300 pounds on Wednesday, and 305 pounds on Friday, start implementing a light day on Wednesday if Monday's weight is hard. The caveat is that novices are shitty at recognizing their own strengths and weaknesses, which is why the coach's eye is invaluable, but it is better than hitting a wall at 300 pounds on Wednesday's workout. Make programming modifications before you fail--but not any sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I don't fully understand. You said yourself it was dumb to do a reset rather than press forward. Do you have a specific question? It seems like you know what you should do.
    Basically since I'm on a timeline, should I reset and deliberately lose progress with the hopes that the rate of progress will go back to being high (15 lbs / week) or just switch to a slower rate of progress right away to try to prevent losing any progress?

It's a math problem, really. And also a question on how effective is a reset really? If I sacrifice 2 weeks' worth of progress to manage a reset, will I get 2 - 3 weeks' worth of 15 lbs increase later on? Hard to say.

You're still competing even if you're not competitive. You had the balls to sign up and prepare for a meet. Most people never will. Own that fact.
    Consider it owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Rankin View Post
    I have done and redone my NLP multiple times, so I understand what you mean. At this point in my training, I have a decent feel for heavy weight and when I need modify programming to accommodate. It seems as though you are a self-sufficient lifter and have a pretty firm grasp on the concepts here, so I would recommend altering your programming even prior to failure; in essence you need to anticipate failure. If you have been running the NLP since May 25th, I hope that you understand what I mean.

For example, if your squats for the week are 295 pounds on Monday, 300 pounds on Wednesday, and 305 pounds on Friday, start implementing a light day on Wednesday if Monday's weight is hard. The caveat is that novices are shitty at recognizing their own strengths and weaknesses, which is why the coach's eye is invaluable, but it is better than hitting a wall at 300 pounds on Wednesday's workout. Make programming modifications before you fail--but not any sooner.
    Much appreciated. I've also done an NLP a few times but I've made the most progress this go around. I think the competitive mindset has helped with that.

I actually have started stalling on the bench and the press in the past few workouts, though I think it's due to a lack of sleep from other stress in my life. Going to try these weights a few more times before modifying anything, but I'm not sure if I should reset 10% and work back up slowly, switch to 3x3, or just go straight to the Texas Method style programming for pressing movements. Sounds like you'd elect the last two of that list?

I haven't stalled on my squats yet (knocking on wood as I type), but I did add a light squat day as I thought maybe my heavy squats were interfering with the pressing, and I figured 10 lbs/week will still give me some decent meet numbers. Deadlifts have finally slowed to 5 lbs/week on every other "A" workout.

Thanks all for the input. I'm still open to all advice.

I think you should have just pressed forward and then reset when it was actually needed. What did you end up doing?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I actually have started stalling on the bench and the press in the past few workouts, though I think it's due to a lack of sleep from other stress in my life. Going to try these weights a few more times before modifying anything, but I'm not sure if I should reset 10% and work back up slowly, switch to 3x3, or just go straight to the Texas Method style programming for pressing movements.
    Programming yourself is not easy, but if that's what you have to do you should make a plan to gradually shift from your present high reps to lower rep high intensity by the time of the meet. Progress through four rep and then three rep sets and maybe doubles and singles followed by backoff sets as the weight goes up. Your meet is just warmups followed by three singles for each lift, nine singles for the whole day. Three of those singles are no doubters so that leaves just six that are really hard. Keep the weight going up for nine weeks as top weight reps go down and then give yourself an easy week just before the meet.

Three sets of five is just the beginning of your strength journey and it is not preparation for doing max singles at a meet.

starting strength coach development program
    I think you should have just pressed forward and then reset when it was actually needed. What did you end up doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Programming yourself is not easy, but if that's what you have to do you should make a plan to gradually shift from your present high reps to lower rep high intensity by the time of the meet. Progress through four rep and then three rep sets and maybe doubles and singles followed by backoff sets as the weight goes up. Your meet is just warmups followed by three singles for each lift, nine singles for the whole day. Three of those singles are no doubters so that leaves just six that are really hard. Keep the weight going up for nine weeks as top weight reps go down and then give yourself an easy week just before the meet.

Three sets of five is just the beginning of your strength journey and it is not preparation for doing max singles at a meet.
    Thank you both. Where I've landed is to shift to Texas Method style programming using volume, light, and intensity days, with the intensity day set on Saturday since that's the day the meet will be on. I'm going to start running out intensity day, shifting from 5s to singles over the next few weeks.