starting strength gym

Thread: Straight line periodization, one lift per week

Default Straight line periodization, one lift per week

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’ve been reading more of Marty Gallagher’s work after listening to the interviews rip did with him and am a little confused by some of his training logic. I understand the need for a novice to squat three times a week, and do the other lifts multiple times a week, and have had very good success myself using an hlm template that had me doing each lift three times a week, but I am curious how Marty’s program provides enough stress for adaptation with only one top set and doing each lift once a week?

Is it because those guys were so strong that the weight they were moving provided enough stress in itself? I am sure part of it also was because the weight was so heavy that any more work would prevent recovery as well, but I am curious if anyone has used this type of program and who it would be appropriate for.

Marty wasn't recommending this for novices.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Marty wasn't recommending this for novices.
    Right, and I remember you two agreeing at one point that certain trainees, particularly novices can and should squat three times a week. I now see a very similar program is included in ppfst pg. 191 In the advanced chapter, as the classic powerlifting taper. Before seeing that I was just wondering the advantages of something like the Texas method, which is brutal and time consuming, compared to what I was reading from Marty. I’m assuming the Texas method will work better while it is still possible, and there will be a point where the stress is too high and a trainee has to go to a more advanced trainee program.