starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Use Cast Iron Cookware - A Californian's Guide to Normal America Part 1

Default How to Use Cast Iron Cookware - A Californian's Guide to Normal America Part 1

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting Strength Coach Nick Delgadillo gives a brief tutorial on using and maintaining cast iron cookware for our Coastal Friends seeking political asylum in Normal America.

Nick, good video. I think a part two would be useful, too. I'd like to add a few things.
    1. Slowly heating the pan will help close the pores of the metal and make it even more non-stick. When you can, heat the pan on the first of the two lowest settings your burner gets for a couple minutes then set to desired temperature. It's time consuming but this allows the metal to expand at a more uniform rate and close any potential areas where the food would otherwise get pinched and stick, so to speak. This was how it was explained to me and it works quite well.
    2. High smoke point and neutral tasting oils are best. Canola is good. I haven't tried olive oil but I use flax seed oil and it works well. Definitely need to use oils that won't go rancid.
    3. It's important to season the whole pan, not just the inside, to protect the whole thing. I didn't hear you mention it and people might miss that. You can also season it in the oven and it's even less time. You can wipe it dry with a rag or paper towels, rub a thin coat of oil on the whole thing, inside and out, wipe the excess oil off with another paper towel, place in the cold oven UPSIDE DOWN (to prevent potential oil pooling), and bake at 450 for 40 min. This will produce much less smoke and you can leave it in the oven to cool so it's out of your way.
    4. I would mention being careful of acidic foods that will eat away at the coatings. You wouldn't braise in wines or make tomato sauces unless the exposure is short.
    5. Cleaning with salt also does the trick. I typically scrub with a large amount of kosher salt and a dish brush to provide some abrasiveness if people don't want to use soap still for some reason.

I love the kitchen. Can't wait to get a gas range myself!

Great video Nick. I'm a fan of cast iron cookware. I bought a super - expensive Finex brand skillet. Probably doesn't cook any differently than others, but it's a satisfying work of art sitting on our stove.
    I love the concept "Californian's Guide to Normal America". Here are a couple of suggestions for future episodes: "How to select your child's gender with a simple peek under the diaper," and "How to take out trash in just one bag".

Most interesting. I've been using cast iron for years, but had totally bought into the "don't clean it with soap" canard. I use only a chain mail pad. I guess I will scrub with soap and season after each use. Thanks for the video. I'm in California. Pray for me.

I don’t object to soap/water, but find mine cleans up completely with a scraper or dish brush under running hot water. Then warm it up on the stove to dry it, and finish off with about a quarter-sized spill of cooking oil, spread evenly (and over edges) with a paper towel, which can also remove the excess.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Most interesting. I've been using cast iron for years, but had totally bought into the "don't clean it with soap" canard. I use only a chain mail pad. I guess I will scrub with soap and season after each use. Thanks for the video. I'm in California. Pray for me.
    You're in our thoughts and prayers. The chain mail pads are pretty cool. I haven't had to use them much, though, since once you've got good seasoning, stuff doesn't stick very much.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    I don’t object to soap/water, but find mine cleans up completely with a scraper or dish brush under running hot water. Then warm it up on the stove to dry it, and finish off with about a quarter-sized spill of cooking oil, spread evenly (and over edges) with a paper towel, which can also remove the excess.
    I don't disagree at all. I just don't really want my eggs in the morning tasting like last night's stir fry. Soap solves that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    I don't disagree at all. I just don't really want my eggs in the morning tasting like last night's stir fry. Soap solves that problem.
    Last night’s gyros go great with this morning’s eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    You're in our thoughts and prayers. The chain mail pads are pretty cool. I haven't had to use them much, though, since once you've got good seasoning, stuff doesn't stick very much.
    About the only thing that I sort of need it for is my cast iron chicken. But the chain mail works very well.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Last night’s gyros go great with this morning’s eggs.
    Are you holding out for a gyro?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast