starting strength gym

Thread: Knees caving in on squats

Default Knees caving in on squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Short story. A female friend (6', 205 lb, 30 yo) partly tore her right ACL something like two years ago. Didn't have surgery. PT (wonder of wonders) suggested low bar squats and deadlifts and getting them up to BW.

We've now been lifting together in my home gym 2x a week since the COVID shut down. I'm NOT a coach but have attended your seminar with you Rip about 5 years ago in Seattle and have been lifting 14 years or so, always with low bar SS style squat.

She's gone from 45 lb to 135 lb on her squat, 3x5. The issue is once she is above about 110 lb her left uninjured knee caves in something horrible. I tell her. She knows. She tries to push it out and fails. FWIW she is also hyper mobile. I don't recall the condition but her joints do weird ass shit. No unlike the hyper mobile woman at the seminar I went to (not that I expect you to remember).

She is hitting depth, staying in her hips, chest down, toes out, feet shoulder width apart. It is just the knee coming in really badly, damn near to center.

Suggestions? I just don't have the experience to know which direction to take. 3x3? Deload to adequate form (probably 95-100) and micro load up? Other?

Video?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Video?
    I'll do my best to take one today.

Well, that took way too long.

https://imgur.com/a/dNKU2pp

Let me know if that link doesn't work.

Anything?

Look at her stance asymmetry. She has what appears to be a short right leg. Check to a leg length discrepancy as per the recommendation in my article, shim her foot appropriately, back off to a weight she can do in perfect symmetry, and start up from there with absolutely no tolerance for the knee cave.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Look at her stance asymmetry. She has what appears to be a short right leg. Check to a leg length discrepancy as per the recommendation in my article, shim her foot appropriately, back off to a weight she can do in perfect symmetry, and start up from there with absolutely no tolerance for the knee cave.
    Will do. Thanks.