starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push ups

Default Push ups

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I saw a video on Youtube of Eddie Hall doing the Navy Seals Fitness tests and fell for the clickbait, and it was actually a pretty good video. I think he weighted around 360lb and did well on most of the tests. He crushed the push ups, and it made me wonder- how much would people estimate the weight of a push up is based on individual body weight? Obviously you take your weight and support a proportion on your feet and "bench press" the rest. I know an estimate can only be rough due to the anthropometry and levers involved.

Is this actually interesting to you?

About 20 years ago when I was 14yo kid I've asked myself the same question. So I took the scale and wheigth myself in a pushup starting position. At atound 95-100 kg of bodyweight the scale showed 70-75 kg

Quote Originally Posted by Jdcuth View Post
    I saw a video on Youtube of Eddie Hall doing the Navy Seals Fitness tests and fell for the clickbait, and it was actually a pretty good video. I think he weighted around 360lb and did well on most of the tests. He crushed the push ups, and it made me wonder- how much would people estimate the weight of a push up is based on individual body weight? Obviously you take your weight and support a proportion on your feet and "bench press" the rest. I know an estimate can only be rough due to the anthropometry and levers involved.
    If you’re interested in this, this should help.

I think it's an interesting question. It depends on where the Center of Gravity is for your body, but on average, I think it's about where your belly button is, which is probably half way up your body. Someone that weighs 360 pounds probably has a CG a bit higher.

The physics method of calculation would be to assume the moment (torque) around your feet is 0 and solve for the force at your arm location that counters the moment of your CG around your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Is this actually interesting to you?
    Rip, as indirect as usual....

I know Rip is as cold as ice. There's a good thread I read recently when someone asks about shoulder pain after a crazy workout and Rip does a great response I can't find it now but he smokes him its very good.
    I guess I phrased this badly I was a little tipsy. Obviously a 1 rep max push up doesn't really exist or is practically hard to assess so you cant get a comparison like the Bench Press where you know driving your max up will increase your ability to bench press lower weights in terms of higher reps. I guess I'm impressed (but shouldn't be surprised because of course it makes sense) at how brutal strength like Eddie Hall has and has spent most of his life training for filters down to very submaximal loads.
    I'll shut up now.....

The Google is a wonderful thing!

Another example of Coach Sully brilliance! 🤣

starting strength coach development program
    As Szymon mentioned, I did the same. Just do some narrow pushups on a set of scales. Was about 15 years ago that I did it, but from memory the numbers were approx 70% of bodyweight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast