starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra squat rebound with toes pointed forward

Default Extra squat rebound with toes pointed forward

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been squatting the way book teaches us to squat for some time now, worked well as expected. (Heels shoulder width, toes pointed out 30 degeees)

My femour and hip capsule bone structure is, i suppose, made so that i can hit biggest depths and i feel the most comfortable squatting with toes poinet out

But when the goal is to hit maximal weights for powerlifting say, moderately wide stance, clearly outside of shoulder width with toes pointing straight forward or like 5 degrees to the outside gives me some weird rebound. I am not sure what is rebounding off of what but i feel quite a bit stronger this way. (Something was mentioned in the book on this subject but not in any real detail)

My question is what is happening here mechanically? Can we even know the answer, maybe its just the way i am built?

You're rebounding off of your knee's capsular ligaments, like a Supple Leopard. Please, continue.

Supple Leopard? Havent heard of that term before. I suppose its a good thing?
    Googled the book out a little bit, is it a recommended read?

You suppose wrong.

I have been thinking through the idea of having the toes pointed more foreward than standard for women who have persistent problems with knee cave.

Maybe around 15 degrees.

Any thoughts?

How do feet-forward help produced knee abduction?

I am looking at this from an anatomical perspective:

When sitting down, men naturally want to spread their legs at about a 30-45 degree angle to be comfortable. Women on the other hand, are perfectly comfortable with a more knees-forward position when sitting down.
    The anatomical difference is the width of the hips, which influences alignment of the hip/trochanter/femur/knee as well as the relative lengths of the adductor/abductor muscles at the bottom of the squat.

Relative to a male, at the bottom of a squat performed exactly the same, a female with wider hips will have lengthened or stretched adductors and relatively shorter or less stretched abductors.

By angling the feet more forward, it may be possible to:
    1. Increase engagement of the abductors and external rotators relative to the adductors out of the bottom of the squat
    2. Put the lifter in a more natural position that improves her proprioception of foot/knee/trochanter/hip alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by lohengramm14 View Post
    He was being sarcastic. That sounds extremely dangerous. I suspect at really heavy weight squatting like that is a nasty injury waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by lohengramm14 View Post
    I bought both books (SS Blue Book and Supple Leopard) around the same time in 2015. I still have my copies of the Starting Strength books, but some unfortunate feller will pick up Supple Leopard from the half-price book store and find out what a huge waste of time and of paper it is.

starting strength coach development program
    At age 64, my moderately osteo-arthritic knees (self-diagnosed) are feeling good thanks to the lifts. While squatting, I still lack decent bounce out of the hole (self-diagnosed). Here is the question: I fool around a little between sets and on off days getting into the start position and hopping. It is submaximal. I maintain the knees out toes aligned position. Is this experiment risking tendon injury enough not to do it?

Another thing that’s seemed to have been helpful, and good warm-up, is to get in the start position and to vigorously wave around a plate or kettlebell. Maybe that’s an indicator of my status.

My program is one lift per day:

Squat 250 lbs. 3x3.
    Deadlift 300 lbs. 3x3.
    Press 152 1/2 3x3.
    Bench 215 3x3.
    BW pull-ups and dips 10x3.

I am overdue for a form check, thank you COVID.

Would you think a little hopping like a frog — submaximally and maintaining toe and knee alignment — will help my stretch reflex for squatting?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast