starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Squat Grip Article | Pete Troupos

Default Yet Another Squat Grip Article | Pete Troupos

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "This is the article that no one asked for, to go along with the seven YouTube videos on the subject, another explanation of a specific aspect of the grip for the squat. But since I get to help an inordinate number of people that have never received formal coaching, through camps, seminars, or forum posts, I see a lot of people making the same exact mistakes..."

Read article

Pete, thanks for the article. My shoulders have limited flexibility, and I have experienced several different rounds of elbow tendonitis. Elbow tendonitis is not pleasant, and it has hampered my bench press.

Several months ago, I watched your video "Common Squat Errors and Fixes", and I have benefited a LOT from your advice to "walk the hands along the bar" after bar placement on the back. By doing this, and by keeping my elbows "down" during the squat, I have so far been able to avoid elbow tendonitis as I return back to my squat PR territory.

Maybe no one asked for this article but I will thank you for it.
    I'm looking forward to my next training day since I am a poster child for paragraph 3: " Everything will feel nice and tight when you walk it out, but it will inevitably go to shit when you try and lean over to send the hips back and the bar starts to roll up toward your neck."

I always assumed this happened because my posterior delts don't have the muscle mass to create a proper shelf especially on the right side where I fractured my glenoid in a cycling accident in my 40's (I'm now 67). I just assumed I would have to high bar squat but maybe there is still hope for me in the low bar position.

OMG, best article ever, finally clicked !, especially around addressing this bit, “and the bar starts to roll up toward your neck”
    I need a cigarette and a lie down now..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ives View Post
    Pete, thanks for the article. My shoulders have limited flexibility, and I have experienced several different rounds of elbow tendonitis. Elbow tendonitis is not pleasant, and it has hampered my bench press.

Several months ago, I watched your video "Common Squat Errors and Fixes", and I have benefited a LOT from your advice to "walk the hands along the bar" after bar placement on the back. By doing this, and by keeping my elbows "down" during the squat, I have so far been able to avoid elbow tendonitis as I return back to my squat PR territory.
    Glad to hear you found it helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Maybe no one asked for this article but I will thank you for it.
    I'm looking forward to my next training day since I am a poster child for paragraph 3: " Everything will feel nice and tight when you walk it out, but it will inevitably go to shit when you try and lean over to send the hips back and the bar starts to roll up toward your neck."

I always assumed this happened because my posterior delts don't have the muscle mass to create a proper shelf especially on the right side where I fractured my glenoid in a cycling accident in my 40's (I'm now 67). I just assumed I would have to high bar squat but maybe there is still hope for me in the low bar position.
    You can always post a form check in the Technique forum. Just read the sticky first. Good luck.

Thanks, Pete. Brought in my grip a half a finger width after getting under, and the bar felt much more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Ohanian View Post
    Thanks, Pete. Brought in my grip a half a finger width after getting under, and the bar felt much more secure.
    Gonna ask Rip if we can install an Armenian filter for the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Gonna ask Rip if we can install an Armenian filter for the forums.
    Greeks came from the loins of Armenians.

starting strength coach development program
    Pete,

I applied your recommendation of "walking the hands along the bar" AFTER bar placement on the back after reading this article almost two years ago.

It has been a great help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast