Yet Another Squat Grip Article | Pete Troupos Yet Another Squat Grip Article | Pete Troupos

starting strength gym
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Yet Another Squat Grip Article | Pete Troupos

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,136

    Default Yet Another Squat Grip Article | Pete Troupos

    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    "This is the article that no one asked for, to go along with the seven YouTube videos on the subject, another explanation of a specific aspect of the grip for the squat. But since I get to help an inordinate number of people that have never received formal coaching, through camps, seminars, or forum posts, I see a lot of people making the same exact mistakes..."

    Read article

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Pete, thanks for the article. My shoulders have limited flexibility, and I have experienced several different rounds of elbow tendonitis. Elbow tendonitis is not pleasant, and it has hampered my bench press.

    Several months ago, I watched your video "Common Squat Errors and Fixes", and I have benefited a LOT from your advice to "walk the hands along the bar" after bar placement on the back. By doing this, and by keeping my elbows "down" during the squat, I have so far been able to avoid elbow tendonitis as I return back to my squat PR territory.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Maybe no one asked for this article but I will thank you for it.
    I'm looking forward to my next training day since I am a poster child for paragraph 3: " Everything will feel nice and tight when you walk it out, but it will inevitably go to shit when you try and lean over to send the hips back and the bar starts to roll up toward your neck."

    I always assumed this happened because my posterior delts don't have the muscle mass to create a proper shelf especially on the right side where I fractured my glenoid in a cycling accident in my 40's (I'm now 67). I just assumed I would have to high bar squat but maybe there is still hope for me in the low bar position.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    40

    Default

    OMG, best article ever, finally clicked !, especially around addressing this bit, “and the bar starts to roll up toward your neck”
    I need a cigarette and a lie down now..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ives View Post
    Pete, thanks for the article. My shoulders have limited flexibility, and I have experienced several different rounds of elbow tendonitis. Elbow tendonitis is not pleasant, and it has hampered my bench press.

    Several months ago, I watched your video "Common Squat Errors and Fixes", and I have benefited a LOT from your advice to "walk the hands along the bar" after bar placement on the back. By doing this, and by keeping my elbows "down" during the squat, I have so far been able to avoid elbow tendonitis as I return back to my squat PR territory.
    Glad to hear you found it helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Maybe no one asked for this article but I will thank you for it.
    I'm looking forward to my next training day since I am a poster child for paragraph 3: " Everything will feel nice and tight when you walk it out, but it will inevitably go to shit when you try and lean over to send the hips back and the bar starts to roll up toward your neck."

    I always assumed this happened because my posterior delts don't have the muscle mass to create a proper shelf especially on the right side where I fractured my glenoid in a cycling accident in my 40's (I'm now 67). I just assumed I would have to high bar squat but maybe there is still hope for me in the low bar position.
    You can always post a form check in the Technique forum. Just read the sticky first. Good luck.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Thanks, Pete. Brought in my grip a half a finger width after getting under, and the bar felt much more secure.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Ohanian View Post
    Thanks, Pete. Brought in my grip a half a finger width after getting under, and the bar felt much more secure.
    Gonna ask Rip if we can install an Armenian filter for the forums.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    42

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Gonna ask Rip if we can install an Armenian filter for the forums.
    Greeks came from the loins of Armenians.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •