starting strength gym

Thread: Confronting Thoughtlessness: Become the Philosopher You Once Pretended to Be | Max B

Default Confronting Thoughtlessness: Become the Philosopher You Once Pretended to Be | Max B

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Max Blochowiak

"For about two years, I was aware of Starting Strength as an entity. However, I did not read the Blue Book™ until I needed to read the Blue Book™. Following my short stint as a mediocre, skinny basketball player and transitioning to an underweight personal trainer, I found myself with nearly crippling pain in my left knee..."

Read article

This was excellent. I'd have never thought to go "Prime Mover" with barbells, or use them as a vehicle to critique an infinite regression model. Made my morning; thanks for this, Max.

great read

Agree with above praise. I’ve read this a few times, each providing more insight and understanding as there’s some real depth in this piece/writing. Thanks.

I'm sure it is just me but the effort to understand what the obviously highly intelligent Mr. Blochowiak has written was beyond my ability. I would make a second attempt at reading it but I honestly doubt that it would make a difference. I can barely express my own internal philosophical struggles. That is why I look so forward to the battle with the weights. It is a chance to hit the pause button on that ongoing mental sparring session and let the enjoyment of life's physicality take over.

Barry, I have struggled with good and bad formulations of this argument for the better part of a decade. Being unable to shake the questions is the only reason I would've kept banging my head against the wall for so long. Only recently have I begun to truly grasp the Five Ways of Thomas Aquinas. It's worth noting that Aquinas believed reasoning to God purely by one's own faculties is the ultimate achievement of natural philosophy, so it's not surprising that it's terribly difficult and so few do it. If you are willing to think in the strange metaphysical terms I used in the article, you can get it in due time. I'd highly recommend Edward Feser's little book Aquinas, there isn't a better starting point.

Ralph McInerny’s “First Glance At Thomas Aquinas (A Handbook for Peeping Thomists)” was a quick easy read for me way back in college.

There is also Chesterton’s “The Dumb Ox”, which captures a lot in a slim volume. It’s an eccentric work (typical Chesterton), but he does seem to be on the inside of Thomas’s mind looking out.

starting strength coach development program
    Haven't read any of McInerny but I just found a copy of Characters in Search of Their Author, which I've heard is excellent. The Dumb Ox is an excellent work and it's good to keep Chesterton's books nearby, but Feser's book is better for practical application of Thomism.