starting strength gym

Thread: So You Bought a Gun - A Californian's Guide to Normal America Part 2

Default So You Bought a Gun - A Californian's Guide to Normal America Part 2

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting Strength Coach Nick Delgadillo helps coastal refugees to Normal America with basic info on what to do with their newfound freedoms. In this episode, he goes over basic firearms safety.

Thanks Nick!

I have a Daisy pellet pistol that I dry fire (if you can call it that with a CO2 pistol) between lifting sets in my garage. It has a stupid rough (high) trigger pull weight and trigger creep (long wall-to-break); at least compared to real firearms that I've experienced. But it helps (I think) with control and sight picture practice (esp. getting used to both eyes open). Plus, it makes me feel more productive than I would be browsing Instagram .

I could probably start dry-firing with my Ruger P90 to get used to a real gun, but not sure if I need to think about temperature changes / humidity (i.e., in winter: warm house to freezing cold garage). The daisy just stays in the garage. I do occasionally dry fire the P90 inside. Also, I'm not yet learned on gun care/cleaning. I have a kit. I hear it's easy. I just haven't looked into it proper yet.

Nice introduction to guns.

Are you going to do one on woodworking and fixing your own possessions and machines too?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lippke View Post
    Thanks Nick!

I have a Daisy pellet pistol that I dry fire (if you can call it that with a CO2 pistol) between lifting sets in my garage. It has a stupid rough (high) trigger pull weight and trigger creep (long wall-to-break); at least compared to real firearms that I've experienced. But it helps (I think) with control and sight picture practice (esp. getting used to both eyes open). Plus, it makes me feel more productive than I would be browsing Instagram .

I could probably start dry-firing with my Ruger P90 to get used to a real gun, but not sure if I need to think about temperature changes / humidity (i.e., in winter: warm house to freezing cold garage). The daisy just stays in the garage. I do occasionally dry fire the P90 inside. Also, I'm not yet learned on gun care/cleaning. I have a kit. I hear it's easy. I just haven't looked into it proper yet.
    Your Ruger will be fine inside and outside. It will handle the temperature change just fine. Don’t worry about it. Gun cleaning isn’t very hard. The longer I’ve been shooting, the less I actually clean my guns unlike my cast iron skillets that get cleaned every time I use them.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Nice introduction to guns.

Are you going to do one on woodworking and fixing your own possessions and machines too?

One on basic power tool orientation may be useful.

I'm concerned about the current shortage of defensive ammo, in popular calibers. So it's easier for me to shrug off the lack of target ammo. Hopefully it will soon be a distant memory we can tell our grandkids about.

"Kids, back then Pop-Pop was SO mad when he noticed the range was charging FIVE dollars more for a 50 round box of 9MM hardball! He had the chance to buy some by the case, but said, 'Nah'. THEN he went to the range one day and they had no target ammo at all! But then they started charging double for it, and he happily paid. The year was 20-ought-eleventy-20. I believe the President at that time was...

Anyways, if you have a chance to buy it by the case, take it. But spend more time dry firing, than going to the range. And when you do live-fire, maybe limit yourself to 50 rounds (or even 25, like Pop-Pop did)".

I buy ammo the same way I buy food, I try to get it while it's on sale and then stock up. I sensed the winds this spring and visited Walmart for their 100 round boxes of 12g.

I just picked up one of these: Home - DryFireMag after someone told me about it at a class a couple weekends ago.

Very cool thing. I've been using a SIRT pistol for dry fire, but there are some problems with it that the Dry Fire Mag solves - you're using your actual trigger, actual optics/sights, and actual holster/carry setup. I average one live fire range session/week but my ammo stash is drying up quick, so I'll have to seriously cut back or switch to mostly shooting .22lr.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    I just picked up one of these: Home - DryFireMag after someone told me about it at a class a couple weekends ago.

Very cool thing. I've been using a SIRT pistol for dry fire, but there are some problems with it that the Dry Fire Mag solves - you're using your actual trigger, actual optics/sights, and actual holster/carry setup. I average one live fire range session/week but my ammo stash is drying up quick, so I'll have to seriously cut back or switch to mostly shooting .22lr.
    I'm glad you mentioned this option. To your point about rimfire ammo, I thought I was going to have to ask Santa for a 9MM --> .22LR conversion kit for my G19.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned this option. To your point about rimfire ammo, I thought I was going to have to ask Santa for a 9MM --> .22LR conversion kit for my G19.
    I bought my son a Glock 44 last summer that I've been using quite a bit to save my 9mm. But I still prefer to shoot with my own daily carry gun, so the dry fire mag is excellent for that.