starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlifting sets of 5

Default Deadlifting sets of 5

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip

The one thing i dont understand properly about the program is:
    how i can be sure that i am setting up correctly in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th reps in a deadlift set? You've given us the 5 step setup, and you are very precise about shins one inch away from the bar, bend knees until they touch bar, dont drop hips etc...but once i set down the first rep, surely the bar isnt always going to be in the correct position over mid foot ready to lift. You tell us in your video "do NOT move the bar or else you will have undone step 1"...but when ive just set down my first rep, how do i know for sure that im in the right position to start the following reps without going through the 5 step procedure each time? Sometimes the bar might be set down an inch or 2 forward, sometimes the bar might roll forward or back a bit after making contact with the ground when setting it down...this means the bar is in different positions prior to each rep...

Since you pull the bar up the shins and lower it the same way, with the bar always remaining in contact with your legs (Starting Strength: BBT, 3d ed., pp. 106-107), the bar will not roll forward, etc., and will end up positioned over the midfoot, ready for the next rep. A time or two, I have been trapped at an out-of-town gym that had hex-shaped bumper plates, which make repositioning unavoidable . . .

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    hex-shaped bumper plates, which make repositioning unavoidable . . .
    Totaly out of topic but... hex plates for strength training are the same what socializm is for economy. They think they are doing the right thing whitout understending fundamentials of the subject.

Sorry for off topic.

It's pretty common to see people put the bar down in a slightly different spot than they picked it up from using their "perfect every time" 1st rep setup. Usually a little forward, occasionally a little behind midfoot. But - listen carefully here - it is not only possible, but quite simple, for 99.999% of people to memorize what their positioning is on that first rep, and then re-create it on the subsequent reps without too much trouble. If you put the bar down a little forward, roll it back - this may require you to also pull your shins back and raise your hips up a bit. If you put the bar down too far back, roll it forward - this may require you to bend your knees slightly and thus lower your hips a bit. It ain't rocket surgery and everyone can a) put it down close to where they picked it up from by following the instructions in the book, and b) to the extent that doesn't happen, easily fix their position in 1-2 seconds between reps before starting the next rep.

As an earlier poster said - just make sure you have round plates.