starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift pain

Default Deadlift pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys hoping you can help
    35 year old male, 6”2 17st 10, 4-4500 cals a day.
    Before coronavirus hit I’d been on a good 6 month run on LP approaching the end. Had got my lift to
    Squat 175kg
    Deadlift 202.5kg
    Bench 115Kg
    Press 91Kg
    Lockdown happened and being furloughed and schools being closed with 7 kids meant unable to train whatsoever for 5 months. I have a history of back pain which comes and goes, 3 years ago I had 2 herniated discs with destroyed me to the point I couldn’t walk however epidural injection helped and I was pain free, until lockdown. So I decided to start NLP again With light weights first day kids back to school
    Squat 80kg
    Deadlift 90kg (due to back pain)
    Bench 60kg
    Press 40kg
    Workouts felt good apart from deadlift which gave a a strong sharp pain in lower back that nearly sent me to the floor so second workout added 2.5 kg to other lifts and used 4 inch blocks on 90kg deadlift again and no pain at all and then added 2.5 kg again each.
    Yesterday’s workout was
    Squat 137.5kg
    Press 70kg
    Deadlift 155kg with blocks
    Squat and press were fine however couldn’t lift second rep on deadlift as the crippling pain returned two fold, have been waiting to see doctor for and in meantime has been given 60mg codeine and paracetamol until I can see a physio which in the nhs takes a lifetime! I’ve been using Deep heat with the meds and it relieves pain a little but any bending motion hurts like fuck!!
    Until I get to see an actual doctor would you recommend going like again on deadlift? Maybe the “cocaine” deadlift I saw in one Matts YouTube videos or stop them altogether until I get a better idea of what’s up with my back? Continue with other lifts as they don’t hurt back at all?
    Any advice would be appreciated

Post a deadlift video and cancel the physio from the NHS.

Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    Post a deadlift video and cancel the physio from the NHS.
    Hi thanks for reply, went to gym today before seen this, will try Wednesday when I’m back! With social distancing and nowhere to put my phone will find it hard to get a proper angle. Still had pain couldn’t even do warm up on deadlift so will see how I go wed