starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dips in lieu of Bench Press...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    Due to the particular circumstances at my gym, I can't bench press safely. I have then started to do dips on a machine. Are dips like pulldowns where high reps are better? Are there any precautions I must be aware of doing dips?
    How much are you benching and how often are you going to failure? If you're at a gym with other people but just not allowed to have a spotter, calling for help when you get stuck is still a viable option. Or, look up 'roll of shame'. It's not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    I thought so. I wish I hadn't misplaced mine.
    Damn shame it's out print.

;-)

Fortunately, RIP has a nice video on Youtube about dips. Learned a few things. My cancer and chemo took a lot out of me, especially upper body. Before, I was able to do 5 to ten pushups without practicing. Now, I can't do any. I'm working up my squats and deads. Which is my strength. Doing what I can.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    How much are you benching and how often are you going to failure? If you're at a gym with other people but just not allowed to have a spotter, calling for help when you get stuck is still a viable option. Or, look up 'roll of shame'. It's not terrible.
    Bench press safety

If you're genuinely curious.

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    .. Or, look up 'roll of shame'. It's not terrible.
    I read somewhere (here?) that the roll-of-shame can cause serious, potentially fatal, internal damage, if heavy enough. Think "internal tear" and bleed out.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    I read somewhere (here?) that the roll-of-shame can cause serious, potentially fatal, internal damage, if heavy enough. Think "internal tear" and bleed out.
    It can, but I figured if he was using assistance on dips he wasn't using enough weight on the bench to cause that, and he could gauge his own aversity to the risk. After reading the info in subsequent posts I'll say that my reply was bad and wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12