starting strength gym

Thread: SS Houston Squat Camp Review

Default SS Houston Squat Camp Review

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I went to SS Houston's squat camp this past weekend and, WOW, what an experience.

When I walked in the door, I was greeted by Josh Wells, with a friendly smile and a firm handshake. I looked around the gym, with a big-ass goofy smile on my face, similar to how a child is amazed by a giant candy store. I knew I was in the right place. "This is home", I muttered to myself. Seeing the huge dudes working at SS Houston (Chase Lindley, Josh Wells, and JD Shipley), in person, made me realize that I need to work that much harder and that I was about to learn a thing or two about heavy ass weight.

The camp started off with a lecture on what strength is, and the physics & biomechanics of the Squat. Afterwards, Chase chose me to be the model for the Teaching Method for the Squat, which I thought was pretty cool. I was smiling internally (I know, I'm sappy as hell, but whatever, it was a cool experience, okay?). Then we split up into groups and we started applying what we learned immediately onto our partner.

Then the meat and potatoes: The Squat itself. We all went thru warmups and work sets, and seeing Chase and Josh coach a myriad of different anthropometries into the correct Squat was invaluable. Probably the most helpful thing at the camp, in my opinion, next to having an SSC coach me in a very calm but commanding way.

I squatted a little less than I was planning on, but I'm 100% okay with that. Chase helped my squat immensely, and gave me some very personalized and helpful cues to improve my movement pattern in the Squat. I can't wait to use all the cues I was shown to make my LP that much better, and get one step closer to being Harder To Kill.

Afterwards, we had a Q&A session that was very helpful, funny, detailed, and insightful. Tons of knowledge and wisdom was flowing from the SSCs to everyone else in the room.

I also wanted to make note of how much the staff at SS Houston cares. I asked if they were open on Sunday (which they weren't), because I wanted help with my Power Clean. Josh Wells told me that he'd work with me anyway. He took time out of his day off, away from his wife and 7-month-old baby, to help me out. What an outstanding guy. He brought my Clean up from 52kg to 75kg in just one private session, giving me really easy-to-understand cues and making every minute of the session enjoyable and helpful. So, shoutout to Josh Wells.

If you're on the fence about coming to a Starting Strength Training Camp, please take my word for it and GO. It'll be the best thing you do for your lifting.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Isaac, thanks for sharing - I love hearing about positive experiences at the gyms. The crew in Houston is legendary. Glad you enjoyed!

Oh man, everything about it was excellent. I'm not sure how the pay structure works for SSCs at the gym, but Josh and Chase deserve a raise! Haha