starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interested in starting ss but need advice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ssyanivss View Post
    Can you elaborate please? What do you mean by cutting down to 75 ? You mean begin strength training at 85kg while in a caloric deficit? All the way down to 75kg? Wouldn't that make it harder for me to gain strength and move up in barbell weight?
    What he’s saying is you’re underweight and don’t need to lose any more weight. You will make better progress at 85kg with the intent of going up in weight than at 75kg.

The key takeaway: "There's no point in you losing weight right now."

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    If you are so worried about body fat, then you aren’t going to be interested in strength training. The fact is that for every pound of muscle you build, it will require some additional body fat. Getting stronger means getting fatter. If you are terrified of getting fatter, then this isn’t the path for you. Stay weak and thin.
    Not true for beginners like OP.

Can you elaborate please? What do you mean by cutting down to 75 ? You mean begin strength training at 85kg while in a caloric deficit? All the way down to 75kg? Wouldn't that make it harder for me to gain strength and move up in barbell weight?
    If you can't train right now, you should not be losing weight.

But also, if you CAN train right now, you should not be losing weight.

Does that clarify?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    Not true for beginners like OP.
    He isn’t exactly obese, so he will need to consume some additional calories for recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    If you are so worried about body fat, then you aren’t going to be interested in strength training. The fact is that for every pound of muscle you build, it will require some additional body fat. Getting stronger means getting fatter. If you are terrified of getting fatter, then this isn’t the path for you. Stay weak and thin.
    does it have to be one or the other? it's not possible to get stronger while maintaining medium to low body fat?

does it have to be one or the other? it's not possible to get stronger while maintaining medium to low body fat?
    Gosh, that's a great question! We've never thought about that before...

Hi !
    Apologize in advance for bad grammer.
    I am 34 years old. I weigh 82 kg and my height is 185 cm.
    I would like to begin with a starting strength program but I was wondering if it is better to first lose some weight and then begin with the program. Because I know that in order to succeed in gaining strength I need to gain weight in the process and so I don't know what to do. I should say that in any case the gyms in my country are all closed now anyway because of the pandemic so it's a chance for me anyway to lose some weight.
    Can you please advise a beginner?

Thank you!
    As someone who is on the nlp, I cannot recommend highly enough reading over the book in detail if you haven't started yet. It addresses your question but also if you haven't done ss, for instance I had to relearn the squat form etc.

I revisited Rip’s conversations with the great Marty Gallagher yesterday. Go and listen to them if you haven’t. If one could take anything away from them is, “EAT, for the love of God.” No one has made any real progress at getting strong while trying to stay small.

starting strength coach development program
    To a degree. I’m not suggesting that you eat yourself to the size of a whale, only that you will need to maintain a SMALL calorie surplus IMO. The more accurately that you track your macros and stick consistently to it, then the closer you will come to optimising the balance between strength/aesthetics. The problem is that you will be compromising ultimate strength gains because the fatigue created by the later stages of NLP progression will effectively curtail it far earlier than otherwise.

Lifting goals are an entirely personal choice and they can change. You aren’t at the extremes of body weight. You are much like most of us are when we began to lift weights, just kind of in the middle. If you cut your weight now, then your strength gains will be proportionally slower, but you get to look like a ‘modern’ man for longer. Until you actually begin lifting, it’s really a waste of time trying to help, because you are just going to go and do whatever you are going to do and then perhaps realise that it was not the best decision in the middle of NLP, then go nuts in the opposite direction and think that you must do GOMAD with chocolate milk or something. Then get fluffy and decide that it’s now just too much and start wanting to cut. This kind of yo-yoing often seems to happen-one day you want to just get strong, the next you just want a nice physique, half the time you get to bulking like a maniac and then your cutting like an anorexic.

My advice FWIW, is to wait until you begin lifting before deciding anything. Then learn to become a consistent, focused lifter, doing the program diligently, filling in the log book, doing it day after day no matter what gets in the way. Don’t get faddy, or an over enthusiastic evangelist. Turn up, load the bar, do the programmed sets like it was just another day at the office. As time goes by, it will become ingrained, habitual, hard and often boring. The rewards for lifting are only partially in the pure physical realm and mostly in the mind, in how you begin to think about life in general. If you lift for a few years then the changes go well beyond dietary considerations and body image. It’s like changing from the inside out, rather than how you think of it at the moment. Lifting is something that you consciously accept that you do to yourself, rather than something that has to be done to you. Lifting is not the activity of victims, but of winners and that takes years to realise.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast