starting strength gym

Thread: Am I lean enough to go on a caloric surplus and follow Starting Strength? (with pics)

Exclamation Am I lean enough to go on a caloric surplus and follow Starting Strength? (with pics)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    (Guys, first of all I'd like to thank anyone in advance who's going to comment on this post for your time and willingness to help a novice in need)

I'm M, 20, 5'6''(168cm), novice(in lifting) and before I started my fitness journey, I was 90Kg (198lbs). I have been cutting since that time (almost 11 months) and I have lost ~ 20Kgs and I'm currently 70Kg (154lbs). My BMI reduced from 30 to 24.5 and bf% dropped from 28ish to 21%.

I know all this is good, but even after all these weight loss, I can't see my abs xD. I know that's a dumb goal but I always wanted a sub 12% body fat and have a flat stomach

As you can see, I do have a round stomach (AND I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT). I found about Mark Rippetoe through some blog and I absolutely loved his work. I really do want to eat at least at maintenance to have a break from months of cutting. But I also really want to build some strength (which I know cannot happen without a proper surplus). I have about a month of training experience (Bench, Press, Squats and deadlifts) without any proper adherence to protein. I have never used any other supplement except Whey. (I'm planning to use Creatine very soon though)

Here are additional stats:
    My waist is 88cm (34''). I can bench 90lbs 3X5, deadlift 132lbs 3X5 and I never squat (I will, though). Am I skinny fat or as Mark says in one of his blogs - "undermuscled"? Can I really expect to eat in a small caloric surplus and at the same time NOT expect my stomach to become more round? Or would you really suggest me to cut down till I have a flat stomach and then start bulking like crazy?

WIN_20201106_11_34_25_Pro.jpgpk4.jpg

11 months is an extremely long time to be cutting. As you lose fat mass you will always also lose muscle mass, so it's definitely time to start strength training seriously again. You will need to be in a caloric surplus as you noted, but that doesn't mean you need to blow up to 30% body fat. Set your protein levels and carb levels first and then set your fat to make up the difference for your required calories. Run out your novice linear progression and then you can potential do another shorter cut.

Thanks for the answer coach.
    Can you please be a little more specific by "You will need to be in a caloric surplus as you noted, but that doesn't mean you need to blow up to 30% body fat". Given my TDEE is approximately 2300 calories/day, how much should I eat? (in Practical Programming, Rip says 1000+ calories i.e ~ 3400/day but is that really for skinny fat people like me or for underweight people?) Would ~2800 calories/ day make the cut?

Don't cut for more than 4 months. I tried that this year since the gyms were closed. Cutting results flattened out almost entirely after that period. Build muscle. Fuck maintenance. Lift heavy, crank the diet up. You won't turn into a fatass if you eat smart. Common wisdom seems to be the best way to deal with skinny-fat is to address the skinny first. Then the fat. I can't say I disagree.

This is not a physique board. It is a strength training board. How strong are you?

Thanks for the reply Rip! I absolutely love Starting Strength book!

Coming to your question - I'm not strong at all. I'm 5'6'', age 20. All of these are 5RM: Bench: 100lbs, Deadlift: 132lbs, Squat: I have never done squats.
    The thing is I hate my round stomach. If I do take in 3000+ calories/day (like you say in Practical Programming), I would grow very fat, very soon.
    (And, I have obviously never trained seriously)

You are not entitled to an opinion about what will happen, because you know absolutely nothing about it. Please, actually do something, and stop typing.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by aaru View Post
    Thanks for the reply Rip! I absolutely love Starting Strength book!

Coming to your question - I'm not strong at all. I'm 5'6'', age 20. All of these are 5RM: Bench: 100lbs, Deadlift: 132lbs, Squat: I have never done squats.
    The thing is I hate my round stomach. If I do take in 3000+ calories/day (like you say in Practical Programming), I would grow very fat, very soon.
    (And, I have obviously never trained seriously)
    If you actually did the program and managed the macros and food choices of that 3000+ calorie diet correctly, you would not grow very fat, especially not very soon. You won't be able to make out every little niche and crevice in your muscular structure, but those muscles will definitely get a lot bigger and people do in fact notice. This is not coming from someone trying to sell you a product, this is coming from someone who's used said product. I may not be the greatest success story but I'm 36 and my strength is at levels I previously thought would be impossible for me even back in my 20s.