starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do lunges have any redeeming qualities?

Default Do lunges have any redeeming qualities?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I admit to falling for some random internet article about unilateral leg work and adding some lunges to the end of my lift yesterday.

Holy hell, I am in so much pain today. Seriously, how is it possible to be fine the day after squatting so heavy your eyes bug out, but incapable of getting off the toilet after some lame lunges?

I know that next day soreness does not equal a more effective stress. But so many people program lunges and I'm just wondering... What added benefit could possibly be worth this much extra pain? Why are they programming them? Is there any benefit to slow eccentrics?

How much weight did you "lunge"? How much will you go up next time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How much weight did you "lunge"? How much will you go up next time?
    I did 3 sets of 5 each leg with 50lbs (my squat is 150lb for 5x3). I don't suppose I'll be re-attempting any time soon.

I get that the best movement is the one were you can move the largest weight over the largest effective ROM, and therefore squat>lunge.
    I was just curious why anyone would ever program it, either as an assistance exercise or in place of a squat.

No one who knows anything about training v exercise ever would.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No one who knows anything about training v exercise ever would.
    Ok, follow up question, do you believe there is any value to unilateral exercises? And if so, what would you program in place of lunges?

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    I was just curious why anyone would ever program it, either as an assistance exercise or in place of a squat.
    Same reason a trainer would have a woman in her 50's, do front squats, rear squats, lying leg presses and jumping scissor lunges with dumbbells. Can't wait to see what the trainer has her do for upper body.

A lot of people are uneasy with squats, that's probably why they do lunges instead. Or whatever other leg movement they can that isn't squats. I know I was for a very long time. I think people use them as assistance work for bodybuilding reasons, not strength training reasons, if they are even using them for any good reason at all.

I did 3 sets of 5 each leg with 50lbs (my squat is 150lb for 5x3). I don't suppose I'll be re-attempting any time soon.

I get that the best movement is the one were you can move the largest weight over the largest effective ROM, and therefore squat>lunge.
    Split Squats (a lunge standing in place) is a great light day exercise on an HLM setup

Ok, follow up question, do you believe there is any value to unilateral exercises? And if so, what would you program in place of lunges?
    I see no application for them. Maybe someone could explain it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Split Squats (a lunge standing in place) is a great light day exercise on an HLM setup
    Maybe Snake here can explain why.

starting strength coach development program
    Long before I discovered SS, I used to do split squats with 20 pound kettlebells because that’s what Athlean-X suggested as part of his “perfect leg day.” The other exercise was deadlifts, so at least he got that right.

If you’re doing that on your light day, you’ll be so fucked up there’s a good chance you won’t be recovered for your next heavy day.

I remember being so sore from 3x12 on split squats that I couldn’t climb ladders at work without worrying that I was doing permanent damage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast