Thread: Belt positioning

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's in the book.
    That's there I learned it!

I think you mean "lever belt." This is the main problem with them.
    Yes, that's what I meant, got it backward;

I actually prefer the normal belt with a buckle, unfortunately a lever belt was the only one I found with a 3 inch width; I wanted to buy the Starting Strength 3 inch double ply belt, but its 175$ plus some 65$ for the delivery, that's 240$; I'm from eastern europe, we're poor people here Rip, that's about 30% of my monthly income right there; I think l'll not starve to death and just use my shitty belt for now

So today(27.11.2020) I did my usual routine for friday, I squated 4x5 with 275; it went ok; felt a bit tired(but that's how I mostly feel on a squat volume day); wen't on to deadlift, I did my warm-up sets, and then loaded 308 for a set of 5; I only got one rep up, the second rep I twiked my back; I don't know what happened, I got it of the floor, and about a few cm of the ground, i feel some pain in my low back and I couldn't finish the rep;
    I used my 3 inch belt for the main sets of the squats and the deadlift; it just feel awkward deadlifting with the belt on, no matter if its 3 inch or 4 inch; Now that I think about it, I always tweked my back on the deadlift using a belt;
    After I stoped using a belt on the deadlift my progression was much better

I think I will just stop using the belt on the deadlift, is that a bad ideea?; I don't intend on being a competitive lifter, if I get to 405 on the deadlift I am satisfied with that

It may be that you are wearing your belt too tight. This can cause a "crease" across the erector muscle belly and produce a little tear. Try it one hole looser.

starting strength coach development program
    It may be that you are wearing your belt too tight. This can cause a "crease" across the erector muscle belly and produce a little tear. Try it one hole looser.
    Thanks RIP, I already loosed up the belt because I felt it was to tight before the incident; any more loose and it will be too lose; currently I can put my palm between the belt and my bell, that is how loose it is right now

I guess I just have to use the belt more often, and also for my warmup sets on the deadlift too, so I get comfortable with it

Been reading the gray book, it might be I am just overtrained, I hurt my shoulder a few week before, and now my back; I am having a hard time falling asleep, I am tired all the goddamn time, and I am moody all the time also; I just can't wait for the weekend so I can just sit on my as for 2 days just doing nothing; I eat enough(3000-3500 kcal), I rest enough between sets, my sleep is shit, but has always sucked, worse now than before though, how does one know he is overtrained? should I just decrease my load or volume for 2 weeks and see what happens?;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12