Belt positioning Belt positioning

starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Belt positioning

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    22

    Default Belt positioning

    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    • starting strength seminar february 2021
    I was using a 4 inch belt, and it was ok for the squat and the press, but for the deadlift it was more of a nuisance and I just deadlifted without a belt;

    I have recently hit a 320 deadlift for 5 reps, without a belt, it was ok, it went well, but as I increase the weight I assume I would need a 3 inch belt eventually;

    So I have purchased a 3 inch belt, and I watched the youtube video of starting strength about how to use the rack to squeeze the belt, but I donít really know where it should be positioned and how tight it should be; a video about this would sure be nice

    I use to put the 4 inch belt just about my bellybutton, but as I have gained weight and started getting a slight belly, I found that it was more comfortable much lower, bellow the belly;

    Now that I have a 3 inch belt, I put it the same as the 4 inch belt, bellow the belly and tried deadlifting with it, but the discomfort is the same as with a 4 inch belt, probably because of the position of the belt, the belt still touches my thigh preventing me from putting my back in proper extension, so I just deadlift without it for the moment;

    Where should I position the belt on the deadlift, given I have a belly and it sits best under the belly? Should I put it over the bellybutton region?

    Also, this belt being new, I find that I canít get a proper breath of air, the belt might be too hard and tight; how tight should the belt be?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,503

    Default

    How tall are you, and what's your waist circumference?

    Did you try to deadlift with the 3" with it on your bellybutton?

    The belt should be tight enough that you can push against it with your abs by taking a breath and squeezing. It should not be so tight that it's crushing you and preventing you from being able to squeeze your abs at all.

    An easy way to tell is that if you use your hand to jostle the belt up and down, it returns back to its original position when you stop touching it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Seems like your questions could be answered here:

    Putting on your belt

    The Belt and the Deadlift

    Then there's this older thread called Hey fat guys: How do you wear your belts?

    and plenty of others available via search.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
    I was using a 4 inch belt, and it was ok for the squat and the press, but for the deadlift it was more of a nuisance and I just deadlifted without a belt;

    I have recently hit a 320 deadlift for 5 reps, without a belt, it was ok, it went well, but as I increase the weight I assume I would need a 3 inch belt eventually;

    So I have purchased a 3 inch belt, and I watched the youtube video of starting strength about how to use the rack to squeeze the belt, but I don’t really know where it should be positioned and how tight it should be; a video about this would sure be nice

    I use to put the 4 inch belt just about my bellybutton, but as I have gained weight and started getting a slight belly, I found that it was more comfortable much lower, bellow the belly;

    Now that I have a 3 inch belt, I put it the same as the 4 inch belt, bellow the belly and tried deadlifting with it, but the discomfort is the same as with a 4 inch belt, probably because of the position of the belt, the belt still touches my thigh preventing me from putting my back in proper extension, so I just deadlift without it for the moment;

    Where should I position the belt on the deadlift, given I have a belly and it sits best under the belly? Should I put it over the bellybutton region?

    Also, this belt being new, I find that I can’t get a proper breath of air, the belt might be too hard and tight; how tight should the belt be?

    Thanks!
    I wear my 3" belt a little looser than the squat, and high, just below my ribcage - well above the bellybutton.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    I wear my 3" belt a little looser than the squat, and high, just below my ribcage - well above the bellybutton.
    Likewise. I wear the belt 1 or 2 holes looser for the deadlift than I do on the squat, depending on the day. Although in the front it rides maybe a 1/2" higher than the squat position, I usually slide it up a bit higher on my back. This probably depends on your specific body shape, but that's what's comfortable and doesn't interfere with my deadlift setup.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    197

    Default

    I use the same hole for squat and deadlift, but I do set my belt differently. On the dead lift I set up on the bar with the belt loose and let is find it's location. Then I cinch it up in the location it found while loose. As a general concept it seems to like to be angle downward slightly in the front vs back on the deadlift.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    I use the same hole for squat and deadlift, but I do set my belt differently. On the dead lift I set up on the bar with the belt loose and let is find it's location. Then I cinch it up in the location it found while loose. As a general concept it seems to like to be angle downward slightly in the front vs back on the deadlift.
    Nice. ďCut to fitĒ. Iíll try this.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    44,249

    Default

    It's in the book.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    How tall are you, and what's your waist circumference?

    Did you try to deadlift with the 3" with it on your bellybutton?

    The belt should be tight enough that you can push against it with your abs by taking a breath and squeezing. It should not be so tight that it's crushing you and preventing you from being able to squeeze your abs at all.

    An easy way to tell is that if you use your hand to jostle the belt up and down, it returns back to its original position when you stop touching it.
    I'm 5'4, I tried do deadlift with the belt about bellybutton and it felt ok, I could get into position; also I let it loser and I could breath better;

    thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    I wear my 3" belt a little looser than the squat, and high, just below my ribcage - well above the bellybutton.
    I have a buckle belt, and I have to use a screwdriver to tighten or loosen the belt; I just use it a bit lose for all the lifts

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    44,249

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    I think you mean "lever belt." This is the main problem with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •