starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testosterone Optimization Therapy with Jay Campbell | Starting Strength Radio #83

Default Testosterone Optimization Therapy with Jay Campbell | Starting Strength Radio #83

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark Rippetoe and Jay Campbell discuss therapeutic testosterone. Jay is the author of The Testosterone Optimization Therapy Bible.

Transcript & Resources

Great show Rip..thank you.

Great information. Since most primary care physicians (at least the ones I've encountered) don't get this, how do you go about finding one who does? Especially in Tucson, AZ? thanks, Rip.

I thought we explained this rather well in the podcast. Watch it again.

I just got off the phone with one of the clinics that was mentioned in the podcast. $4000.00 for hormone blood panel and then 3000-3500 a year just for testosterone replacement.
    Do you have any coupons Rip ?

I'd use them if I did.

4k for a blood panel sounds a bit high to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rimack View Post
    I just got off the phone with one of the clinics that was mentioned in the podcast. $4000.00 for hormone blood panel and then 3000-3500 a year just for testosterone replacement.
    Do you have any coupons Rip ?

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I called them back shortly after my post to make sure I was understanding her correctly, She confirmed it was 4k for the blood work through their office or something to that effect.
    She then proceeded to tell me that since I was out of state they would provide me with the paper work to take to Quest or Labcorp for the blood work and somehow this was only going to be $700.00... Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Long time lurker here. I feel really fortunate. I had my first blood test done 9 years ago, and my T was 212. For various reasons I opted not to do anything. I got tested again about four years ago, and was at 222. Again, I opted not to do anything. In January this year I was tested again at 278. My NP (not an MD) encouraged me to consider TRT, and I talked with him about Clomid, aromatase inhibitors, and other stuff. He said he had no problems prescribing me test, had multiple other patients that benefitted from it, and thought I would also. He didn't want to prescribe anything but test, thought it was probably unnecessary, and said if it blood tests showed it wasn't working he would refer me to an endo. In July I finally decided to pull the trigger. The NP wrote the prescription, and said I could come in to learn how to do an injection. Instead, I reviewed a few Youtube videos, and did it myself. One of the reasons (not necessarily the main reason) I delayed so long in getting TRT was the fact that I hate syringes. When I mentioned this to the NP, he brushed aside my concern and told me injections are no big deal. And, he was right. After the first injection it has been no problem for me.

After my first blood test on TRT, my T came back at 872, and I felt great (and put on 10 lbs in two weeks, though some of that may be due to a change in job). When an MD in the same office as the NP reviewed my numbers he said I should go from 200mg every two weeks to every three weeks because my numbers were too high. He even suggested I may not need TRT. Like an idiot, I tried the three week interval for a couple of injections, then talked with the NP again. The NP thought my numbers looked good, and told me to go back to bi-weekly injections. I've felt pretty good with them since, but I am going to move to 2x/week injections, as that just makes sense. And in the near future I will try sub-q injections as well.

In the end, I got lucky with my NP, who is not only not an idiot, but open-minded and full of common sense. What I have seen and learned reinforces what Rip and others say:

1) Don't listen to doctors that give bad advice outside their wheelhouse
    2) While test has certainly helped my lifts (my weight, which had stabilized at just under 220 for a very long time is not just under 240), the main benefit to TRT is in how it makes you feel. Gone is the lethargy and constant drowsiness. Now I feel energy to do stuff pretty much all the time. It's absolutely amazing.
    3) Don't be afraid of injections; get a 25+ gauge needle and stick it in (the outer quad in my case, with 1" or 1.5" needles)
    4) Don't overthink the chemistry. You most likely don't need a stack.
    5) If you can find a willing doc (or nurse practitioner, in my case), none of this needs to be expensive. Test is relatively cheap, as are syringes. Even without insurance, It's about $15/month for me. And insurance partially covers the infrequent blood tests.

YMMV, but for me thus far, it's been fantastic.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MTUT View Post
    Long time lurker here. I feel really fortunate. I had my first blood test done 9 years ago, and my T was 212. For various reasons I opted not to do anything. I got tested again about four years ago, and was at 222. Again, I opted not to do anything. In January this year I was tested again at 278. My NP (not an MD) encouraged me to consider TRT, and I talked with him about Clomid, aromatase inhibitors, and other stuff. He said he had no problems prescribing me test, had multiple other patients that benefitted from it, and thought I would also. He didn't want to prescribe anything but test, thought it was probably unnecessary, and said if it blood tests showed it wasn't working he would refer me to an endo. In July I finally decided to pull the trigger. The NP wrote the prescription, and said I could come in to learn how to do an injection. Instead, I reviewed a few Youtube videos, and did it myself. One of the reasons (not necessarily the main reason) I delayed so long in getting TRT was the fact that I hate syringes. When I mentioned this to the NP, he brushed aside my concern and told me injections are no big deal. And, he was right. After the first injection it has been no problem for me.

After my first blood test on TRT, my T came back at 872, and I felt great (and put on 10 lbs in two weeks, though some of that may be due to a change in job). When an MD in the same office as the NP reviewed my numbers he said I should go from 200mg every two weeks to every three weeks because my numbers were too high. He even suggested I may not need TRT. Like an idiot, I tried the three week interval for a couple of injections, then talked with the NP again. The NP thought my numbers looked good, and told me to go back to bi-weekly injections. I've felt pretty good with them since, but I am going to move to 2x/week injections, as that just makes sense. And in the near future I will try sub-q injections as well.

In the end, I got lucky with my NP, who is not only not an idiot, but open-minded and full of common sense. What I have seen and learned reinforces what Rip and others say:

1) Don't listen to doctors that give bad advice outside their wheelhouse
    2) While test has certainly helped my lifts (my weight, which had stabilized at just under 220 for a very long time is not just under 240), the main benefit to TRT is in how it makes you feel. Gone is the lethargy and constant drowsiness. Now I feel energy to do stuff pretty much all the time. It's absolutely amazing.
    3) Don't be afraid of injections; get a 25+ gauge needle and stick it in (the outer quad in my case, with 1" or 1.5" needles)
    4) Don't overthink the chemistry. You most likely don't need a stack.
    5) If you can find a willing doc (or nurse practitioner, in my case), none of this needs to be expensive. Test is relatively cheap, as are syringes. Even without insurance, It's about $15/month for me. And insurance partially covers the infrequent blood tests.

YMMV, but for me thus far, it's been fantastic.
    Good to here. I started TRT about 5 or 6 years ago through a local GP here in Sacramento Ca. My HMO refused to treat me. I was injecting (sub Q ) 50 mg twice a week and my numbers went from the mid 200's to 800-900, felt like a million bucks. After watching the podcast I moved my injection to 3 time a week, M W F and I can feel a difference already. I would like to move up in my mgs/dose as my T has leveled off to 500-600 however I'm pretty sure my GP will say no.
    If you ever get a wild hair buy some insulin needles and give a sub Q injection a try.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast