starting strength gym

Thread: Does a cheap barbell have a use?

Default Does a cheap barbell have a use?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My woman bought a barbell for 20 bucks with a nut holding the sleeves. Wondering if it worth using for rack pulls? Not sure if those nuts can handle a heavy load and could potentially be dangerous.
    I already have a SS bar and a B&R bar just been afraid to use them for rack pulls cause I might bend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenstro View Post
    My woman bought a barbell for 20 bucks with a nut holding the sleeves. Wondering if it worth using for rack pulls? Not sure if those nuts can handle a heavy load and could potentially be dangerous.
    I already have a SS bar and a B&R bar just been afraid to use them for rack pulls cause I might bend them.
    Not about the nuts. I think a cheap bar can break in a heavy rack pull and cause devastation.

At least, I think I heard that around hear some time ago.

They serve a very important function and it is this, now listen carefully. You can sell it to Play It Again Sports for $60 and make $40 in profit.

If there is an Allen screw holding the sleeve assembly together, it's cheap Chinese junk. Throw it away, and don't use it for rack pulls; it will come apart.

I have one on top of my rack for pull-ups/chins. I don't like the pull-up bar that's built into the rack. The diameter is much larger than the bar I do squats/deads/presses with. Cheap bar works great. For early linear progression, the cheap bars are fine. I got my squat up to over 300 with a cheap (allen head) bar. Frankly, I think you could go much further but I ponied up for a Matt Chan bar Rogue Chan Bar - Cerakote | Rogue Fitness (love it). I got the black cerakote. The wear on the cerakote is kinda encouraging.

I still keep my cheap $50 CAP bar around. I can think of two or three assistance lifts in the book or program I've used it for - pin presses (overhead and bench), barbell rows, and curls for those who use a 7ft bar for biceps and triceps work (I have a curl bar for bicep/tricep work). I'm not up to the level for doing rack pulls, but I doubt the bar would handle the weight, as it's only rated for 300lb and I'm guessing that's a generous 300lb rating by CAP.

At the risk of getting flamed here for recommending a non-program assistance move, I do use mine for T-bar/landmine use when I want to play around with non-program close-grip row or press variants once my training is done. But 99.99% of the time it mostly just gathers dust; maybe I should take it into Play-it-again and see if I could get a couple bucks for it. Thanks for the idea Eric.

starting strength coach development program
    Sell the shitty barbell for a profit and don't drop your good bars on the pins when you rack pull. They'll be fine. You could also get a set of blocks and pull from those.