starting strength gym

Thread: For getting coaching, what is better: Two in person sessions or one month of online?

Default For getting coaching, what is better: Two in person sessions or one month of online?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    From searching around online, it seems like two in person coaching sessions (2 lifts a session I am assuming) seem to come out to around $200-$300, about the same as one month of online coaching

Pros of in person:
    Instant feedback
    Better viewing angles for the coach

Pros of online
    Would get 12-13 lifting sessions looked at instead of 2.
    Wouldn't have to travel (Live in Northeast USA, coaches are all 1-2 hours away from me)

I have read SS:BBT3, and have a foundational knowledge of how to lift properly, but my form drifts a lot and thing an actual coach might be able to help me.
    I should also add that I may not be as dedicated as other members of this forum, I don't plan on entering competitions or anything like that, so I don't want to spend $2,400-$3,600 a year on coaching.

Have you actually talked to a coach about in-person coaching to find out prices and what they recommend?
    200-300USD for two sessions is high, but it does depend on who you're hiring.

For your situation, I'd recommend in-person coaching.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by stanm View Post
    I should also add that I may not be as dedicated as other members of this forum, I don't plan on entering competitions or anything like that, so I don't want to spend $2,400-$3,600 a year on coaching.
    Sounds like you answered your own question.

In-person is very worthwhile. Do that once or twice a year and you'll probably meet your goals.

I’ve done a month online with Pete and it helped take my squat from a complete piece of above parallel shit to something flawed but serviceable. When I finally went to see him in person, it took him literally 5 minutes to iron out what I couldn’t figure out online in a month.

The thing with online is that you’re not actively being cued. For me, he could see my weight shift and when he cued me and showed me what midfoot was, it instantly clicked and I haven’t looked back.

It’s not that online is useless. It certainly has its benefits and I got a lot out of it. But, in person just gave me so much more clarity. I really need to make it to WF for a seminar so I can tie up any loose strings.

I’m envious of anyone who has local access to an SSC. I’d drop in more frequently if I had the opportunity.

If you have form issues, then in person coaching is better. If it’s programming and diet, then online works pretty well. Form checks online are adequate, but they aren’t a substitute for a session with a coach correcting form in real time.

I’m not sure why you are basing coaching value on entering competitions ? The chief purpose of strength training is to get stronger and that’s why you hire a coach-when it’s becoming increasingly difficult to improve, or you are getting frequent injuries. I know there is resistance to spending money on an invisible benefit and I went through the same thing. However, if you are serious about your training and can afford it, there is every reason to buy it.

Why not both?

In person.

In person is best when learning the lifts from scratch. After your form goes from terrible to mediocre online coaching is better. With online your coach can watch a lot of reps in a very short time and analyze your movement with the benefit of replays. Then when your coach identifies a problem with your movement he can play it back to you using voiceover and a cursor to show you exactly what was wrong and what was right with a particular rep. This can actually be a lot more useful to you than shouted cues in a gym followed by your coach walking away to shout at someone else.

What won't work so well is being a damn cheapskate when looking for professional help.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    In person is best when learning the lifts from scratch. After your form goes from terrible to mediocre online coaching is better. With online your coach can watch a lot of reps in a very short time and analyze your movement with the benefit of replays. Then when your coach identifies a problem with your movement he can play it back to you using voiceover and a cursor to show you exactly what was wrong and what was right with a particular rep. This can actually be a lot more useful to you than shouted cues in a gym followed by your coach walking away to shout at someone else.
    I don't agree.

The best scenario where online form checks and programming are more economical than in-person are if you've already been doing in-person coaching with that coach and then transitioning to online. For someone who has not had in-person coaching, in-person coaching is always the best option. Sure, if you live in northern Canada and the closest coach is nine hours away - fair enough - pick online coaching, but this guy is 1-2 hours away from a coach. For Stanm, the smartest option is in-person coaching.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com