starting strength gym

Thread: Why Are You Deadlifting in Weightlifting Shoes? | Carl Raghavan

Default Why Are You Deadlifting in Weightlifting Shoes? | Carl Raghavan

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "I hear this question all the time – as if it’s somehow sacrilegious to deadlift in Olympic lifting shoes. Often, the outraged dude in question will follow up with a snort, 'There are no elite powerlifters that deadlift in weightlifting shoes! Name one!'

Excellent point, outraged dude. Except for the fact that I am not a powerlifter."

Read article

Thanks, Mr. Raghavan. It reminded me of an experience being on the road a couple years ago on business. I lifted at a wonderfully-furnished iron gym tucked away in a suburban industrial park in the NE of the U.S. It was a Monday afternoon and fairly slow. Several guys there were quite friendly and welcoming when, after squatting and pressing, I walked over to the portion of the gym that contained the deadlifting platforms, where they were sitting. One of them watched me pull a triple at 455 and then mocked me gently for wearing Oly shoes, as if I'd never received proper advice on the subject (had only been lifting for three years at the time.) I'd seen lifters squatting and deadlifting barefoot occasionally in the past and thought it was, well, somewhat ill-advised. I also vaguely recalled that Rip had said or written something on the topic. On this particular day, however, I was apparently (and embarrassingly) highly suggestible and open to new experiences. I let him talk me into removing my shoes for a second triple and pulling in socks (it was a nice, grippy, rubber mat, not a smooth surface. I'm not quite that stupid.)

Yes, I nailed it. No, my arches didn't collapse. No, I'll never do that again. I was nearly 53 at the time, and I had adopted a policy of trying actively to be less of an idiot in several ways annually. This lesson was one of my incremental gains in 2018. Another one was no longer pulling two heavy deadlift sets at my age. A third was to read and watch material regularly on the SS site so I don't make these boneheaded mistakes. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I got a better answer to this question:

I don't feel like switching shoes.

They also make deadlifting shoes that are just like squat shoes without a heel.

Ahh I remember the London SS camps many moons ago, when I said I'd try doing double body weight and Jordan said it didn't count if I changed out of my weightlifting shoes. That's stuck with me ever since lol. Bit like dropping body weight to try and make a double bodyweight press. Cheap move.

Honestly, I believe one deserves bonus style points for putting up solid numbers with minimal equipment. If you like deadlifting in Olympic shoes or even bunny slippers, why not?

When I started lifting almost 50 years ago, the only shoes I wore were the same ones I wore while conditioning for my primary sport. I believe I was 18 and having trouble holding onto the bar for more than a couple of reps in the 5's before someone suggested that a mixed grip was better than a double overhand one without chalk. Still, I don't remember anyone saying that Nike Waffle trainers weren't appropriate for a teenager with a 6-plate deadlift.

Although I now have squat and deadlift shoes, when training full body I just use deadlift slippers. As long as I am on a rubber deadlift platform and not one with a wooden center, simply thinking about screwing my feet into the floor works with bare feet, socks or slippers. Due to the risk of slipping while walking out, I would never squat in socks or slippers.

Quote Originally Posted by James Rodgers View Post
    They also make deadlifting shoes that are just like squat shoes without a heel.
    They do? Can you share the brand? I've found the Altra HIIT 2s to be close but slightly lacking in metatarsal support.

I've tried a bunch of times to deadlift in my heeled lifters, but it creates all sorts of form problems (most noticeably, rocking onto my toes) that disappear when I take them off. To be fair, I have horrid leg to torso/arm proportions, and have spent most of my life barefoot because I hate shoes in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    They do? Can you share the brand? I've found the Altra HIIT 2s to be close but slightly lacking in metatarsal support.

I've tried a bunch of times to deadlift in my heeled lifters, but it creates all sorts of form problems (most noticeably, rocking onto my toes) that disappear when I take them off. To be fair, I have horrid leg to torso/arm proportions, and have spent most of my life barefoot because I hate shoes in general.
    I use Sabo deadlift shoes which are flat.

I also have no issues deadlifting in different footwear if it helps to lift a bit more weight, just like I use a belt and wrist wraps. There is no necessity to use DL shoes, but they are nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I use Sabo deadlift shoes which are flat.

I also have no issues deadlifting in different footwear if it helps to lift a bit more weight, just like I use a belt and wrist wraps. There is no necessity to use DL shoes, but they are nice to have.
    I like my Sabo deadlift shoes. I rarely squat and deadlift in the same session so I start with either the Sabos or squat shoes and keep them on for the rest of the session.

Criticizing someone else's choice of shoes at a lifting session is kind of shitty unless it is to help someone who is completely inexperienced.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post

Criticizing someone else's choice of shoes at a lifting session is kind of shitty unless it is to help someone who is completely inexperienced.
    It’s not an issue in my training sessions. I figure people like the shoes they are lifting in, even if they are running shoes. I’ve become ever more insular in my lifting bubble. I haven’t the time, nor the energy to squander on what others are doing. I just want to get through my sets and get the hell out.