starting strength gym

Thread: Heart Pounding

Default Heart Pounding

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I am a 26 year old male, 5'11" and 190 lbs currently. I am about 10 weeks into my NLP and noticing something weird. About 3-4 weeks ago, I started having the feeling of my heart pounding very hard. Its not fast, it just feels to be thumping in my chest very hard. This is more or less constant, and I especially notice at night - it is so distracting that it often keeps me from sleeping. I am not having any other symptoms like shortness of breath or anything.

I'm just curious if anybody else experienced this when they started lifting weights, and if so what it could be? Maybe it is unrelated to my weightlifting, it's just odd timing and I never experienced this before.

If you're worried about it, get it checked. It's probably just a change in your perception, but you won't be happy until you know.

Do you get heartburn? Sometimes I feel what you describe, and I think it's heartburn. The "heart pounding" feeling is especially strong if I drink milk, or if I lay down right after I eat.

Does it match the description of heart palpitations?
    It's worth getting checked out because, you know, hearts.

But for me this is something I get, especially when laying down to sleep at night, if my potassium levels are low. I take an electrolyte mix I found on amazon called "K1000" which has way more potassium than most electrolytes and haven't had a problem since (except for when I forget it). But you could also try just eating an avocado a day for a whole and see if it helps - they have way more potassium than a banana.

Get your thyroid levels checked.

I get this once or twice a year and go to the doctor every time for it. Just go and get an ekg (that’s what they always do for me) and they will probably say it’s fine. But better to go if you can and get the worry out of your mind. Also, I second what lost and found said, get those thyroid levels checked if you can, as I am pretty sure mine is caused by my fluctuating weight interfering with my thyroid medicine dosage

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the replies, I’ll bring it up with the doctor next time I go especially the thyroid stuff.

Another thing I thought of, I started also taking creatine about the same time I started noticing this. Has anyone ever heard of creatine causing anything like this?