starting strength gym

Thread: Tiny bt of movement in the low back

Default Tiny bt of movement in the low back

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dead Mr. Rippetoe,

Im 26 years old, "exercising" since 2012 and TRAINING since 2018, when i first read your book starting strength. Never had any noticeable pain or something like that. But i have following questions in my mind:

When squating, we want our whole lumbar to be stabilized by our back muscles and our abs. After a stick my but out a little bit, like you mentioned it in your videos, i present my proud chest, brace my abs as hard as i can and then i squat.
    I noticed, that at the very bottom of my squat, right below parallel, my lover backs starts to move a tiny little bit. After i looked some of your videos, i noticed, that this seems to be the glutes, pulling my outsticked but back to a more "neutral" position.
    My back is then still in a neutral anatomical position, but there still was some little "movement" in it. I try not to overexntend my spine, but still by sticking out my butt just a little bit, this tiny little movement is still there. I also noticed, that many athletes in your videos have the same tiny little "stretch" movement when squating, which assumes to me, that this may be no thing to worry about to much. (Im sure you would have told them to stop this while spotting)
    I read your article "butt wink", where you mention, that a tiny little bit of lumbar flexion is not a big problem.

although my back is not into flexion at the bottom of my squat, i want to ask if this tiny little movement, from slight overexertion (just a little from sticking out the but a little bit) to a "flat" looking, neutral curved spine, could cause some injury as im getting older. Or is this a "normal" little bit of movement, which i dont have to worry about?

Im now 26 years old, never had lower back pain, although i squat like this for now 9 years.
    But do i have to worry about this when im getting 50, 60 or 70 years old?

Hope my english is not TO bad.
    Thank you very much.

This is what is wrong with the sillyass "Proud Chest!" cue. It results in too-vertical a back, in addition to the fact that that is a metaphor and not an actual cue. You back is too vertical, as a video will show.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/39zpbecotc...H_jGRH_4BjBtSo

Hope the link for the video is working:

Here 2 Reps, where you can see a little "movement" on the bottom of the squat

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7hq95vdvg...-neu1.mp4?dl=0

Here you can see the full back. Sry, second video in my first post didnīt work.

There is nothing wrong with your lower back. You're not even too vertical.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Robert,

You might want to watch this.

You have to Learn to Control Your Back with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

I was originally confused by this when I started, thinking that we needed to place our back in overextension at the top of the squat. I would have the same movement as you in the bottom of the squat. The video is Rip explaining the difference between concentrically contracting the spinal erectors and holding them isometrically in normal extension, while under load.

Just stand up normally at the top of the squat.