Do Your 3s, Ladies | Nick Delgadillo Do Your 3s, Ladies | Nick Delgadillo

starting strength gym
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Do Your 3s, Ladies | Nick Delgadillo

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,243

    Default Do Your 3s, Ladies | Nick Delgadillo

    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    • starting strength seminar june 2021
    • starting strength seminar august 2021
    "Even to this day, after this has been discussed many times, I regularly see videos of women grinding through and failing sets of 5 on the squat in the first couple of months of your Novice Linear Progression."

    Read article

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Fredericton, NB, Canada
    Posts
    31

    Default

    For a woman doing an intermediate program like Phase I of the Texas Method, would she do a 5RM or 3RM on intensity day?

    I think that a 3RM would make the most sense for the reasons discussed in the article.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Rodgers View Post
    For a woman doing an intermediate program like Phase I of the Texas Method, would she do a 5RM or 3RM on intensity day?

    I think that a 3RM would make the most sense for the reasons discussed in the article.
    Start off with 2x3 on intensity day. Volume day is still 5x5 for women. Don't have women do 8x3 or any silliness like that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    "Even to this day, after this has been discussed many times, I regularly see videos of women grinding through and failing sets of 5 on the squat in the first couple of months of your Novice Linear Progression."

    Read article
    Has the following been considered/tried in making the change to 3s?

    Instead of keeping the volume at 15 reps by doing 5x3, would keeping the volume at 15 reps by extending the 3 sets with drop sets have any advantages? Therefore matching set length to the 3x5 of the male programming?

    I understand that that makes 6 of the 15 total reps at a lighter load so suggests the drop set idea would be inferior.But Iím thinking about how the first and last rep of a set are different.

    When using 5x3, you have 5 reps which are in the recovered state (the first rep of each set) and 5 which are grinders (the last rep of each set), and 5 in the middle.

    With 3x5 however, you have only 3 reps at nearly recovered, and only 3 at grinders, but you also have 3 that are nearly grinders (the 4th reps) taking us to 6 reps that are on the tougher end and the remaining are 3 in the middle and 3 which are towards the recovered end of the set but still not fully recovered.

    With 3x3 plus an extra 2 reps after each set done as a drop set, would the fact the 2 extra reps were being done in a fatigued state compensate for the lighter load while allowing some extra reps to be done on the grinding side of the scale rather than the recovered side of the scale?

    Or is this just seductive and needless complexity?

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    147

    Default

    My first time through LP I didn't listen to this. I held off on going to 3s until I'd failed every lift twice, and it was a brutal grind, and then I hurt myself.

    This time through I went straight to 3s and it's amazing. I feel successful and strong, not beat up.

    But the time commitment compared to my husband doing sets of 5s feels pretty unfair, lol. I'm glad to see you say it's ok to take less time. I had been taking 3-4 minutes but feeling guilty about it.

    What do you recommend for warmup sets? Still 2 sets of 5 reps with empty bar, then 5-3-2 reps with increasing weight? Sometimes I feel tired by the time I get to my work set lol.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theseahawk View Post

    Or is this just seductive and needless complexity?
    Yes.

    The point is to make the bar heavier. Anything that involves removing weight from the bar, regardless of fatigue (which is not a fixed variable), is not going to be useful in this situation.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    My first time through LP I didn't listen to this. I held off on going to 3s until I'd failed every lift twice, and it was a brutal grind, and then I hurt myself.

    This time through I went straight to 3s and it's amazing. I feel successful and strong, not beat up.

    But the time commitment compared to my husband doing sets of 5s feels pretty unfair, lol. I'm glad to see you say it's ok to take less time. I had been taking 3-4 minutes but feeling guilty about it.

    What do you recommend for warmup sets? Still 2 sets of 5 reps with empty bar, then 5-3-2 reps with increasing weight? Sometimes I feel tired by the time I get to my work set lol.
    If you're getting tired by the time you get to work sets, you may be warming up with weights that are too heavy. Your rep scheme sounds right, just make sure they're even jumps. Shoot for around 30-40 lbs jumps between warmups. If your jumps are less than that, do less sets.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Start off with 2x3 on intensity day. Volume day is still 5x5 for women. Don't have women do 8x3 or any silliness like that.
    Not to start a fight but this is not what is in TBBP or PPST3. Is your experience different?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    If you're getting tired by the time you get to work sets, you may be warming up with weights that are too heavy. Your rep scheme sounds right, just make sure they're even jumps. Shoot for around 30-40 lbs jumps between warmups. If your jumps are less than that, do less sets.
    Thanks. I think my final warmup sets were too heavy, more like 5-10 lbs away.

    I am still struggling to wrap my head around all the implications of neuromuscular efficiency. I get that women need heavier work sets to drive adaptation, because a set of 5 doesn't stress the muscle "as much" as it does for a guy.
    What I don't get is why that seems to make women less capable of doing longer sets (5-12 reps)? Is it the same 80% (or whatever) or muscle fibers being used over and over again for each rep? Or is it more like rep 1 uses 80% and rep 2 uses a different 80%? And if thats the case, wouldn't women have more muscular endurance, because 20% of the muscle is spared ever rep? Yet in reality we see women spectacularly fail higher rep sets, for example nailing a press set of 3 at 100lbs but a few days later failing on rep 5 of only 80lbs.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    44,617

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    What I don't get is why that seems to make women less capable of doing longer sets (5-12 reps)? Is it the same 80% (or whatever) or muscle fibers being used over and over again for each rep? Or is it more like rep 1 uses 80% and rep 2 uses a different 80%? And if thats the case, wouldn't women have more muscular endurance, because 20% of the muscle is spared ever rep? Yet in reality we see women spectacularly fail higher rep sets, for example nailing a press set of 3 at 100lbs but a few days later failing on rep 5 of only 80lbs.
    Women can do longer sets of higher reps, but they don't make you stronger because you're leaving so much muscle mass unrecruited under light weights. High-rep sets don't make boys stronger either.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •